early warning

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

early warning

Post by roedygr »

I generate most of my markup with a Java computer program. If it is wrong in some file, it will be wrong in others.

When I do a batch validate, I don't find out until it is complete if nearly every file is failing, an indication of a systemic problem.

It would be nice if as batch validator is working away it displayed the count of errors and warnings (suppressing if 0).

Then I can see a problem developing right away.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: early warning

Post by Albert Wiersch »

You should be able to write a TNPL Batch Wizard function to generate progress messages for this. It could keep a total error count, and then if, say, over 100 errors have occurred, display some type of message (perhaps highlighting in red) in the batch progress either once or after every validation. Would something like this work?

If so, then you could try writing it yourself or I would be happy to come up with something.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

Albert Wiersch wrote:You should be able to write a TNPL Batch Wizard function to generate progress messages for this. It could keep a total error count, and then if, say, over 100 errors have occurred, display some type of message (perhaps highlighting in red) in the batch progress either once or after every validation. Would something like this work?

If so, then you could try writing it yourself or I would be happy to come up with something.
The main thing I want to know is is this batch gone off the rails with a large number of errors. Maybe I should abort it, do a systematic fix and run it again. The thing that would be most useful are the counts for the failing files. I can then research them while the batch is still running, even if I don't use htmlvalidator, just a text editor.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

What would you like it to do, in detail?

After a validation is done in the Batch Wizard, it can obtain an error count and a warning count for the document just validated.

It's possible to display progress messages as highlighted red lines, so you can do the following:

*) Display a highlighted progress line if the number of errors and/or warnings in the file that was just checked exceeds a certain number.
*) Keep a running tally of the total number of errors and warnings generated for all files check so far, and generate a highlighted progress line if the total exceeds a certain number.

The messages can include the number of errors/warnings and/or the total tally numbers.

By "gone off the rails" perhaps you could keep a running tally of all errors generated, and if it exceeds 500 (or so) then start throwing out a bunch of highlighted progress lines that you would notice if you are paying attention to the batch progress. Would something like this is what you want?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial