Typing Shortcut

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Typing Shortcut

Post by roedygr »

I when I am using the HTMLValidator editor the most common thing I type is

convert: flippin seperaters
to
<span class="sic">flippin seperaters</span>

So I would like a key than when you hit it puts the highlighted text in a sandwich

<span class="?">...</span>

Even better let me configure several keys with my most common classes built it.

<span class="date">...</span>

Perhaps a few more shortcuts
<li>...</li>
<p>...</p>
<em>...</em>
<strong>...</strong>
<a class="?" href="...">?</a>
<a class="?" href="?">...</a>
I don't know what keys are free. Ideally the would be Ctrl-x Alt-x or F1 .. F12 rather than some more complex slow-to-key and hard to remember sequence. They could of the form F7+letter (not simultaneous).
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Typing Shortcut

Post by Albert Wiersch »

You can use the User Inserter to make your own menu items in the User Inserter toolbar, though you can't assign keyboard shortcuts. Go to View > Toolbars > Inserters > User and make sure it's checked. Choose User > Edit Configuration to configure it. Here's some documentation:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/current/d ... erters.htm
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/current/d ... figure.htm

There are also some built-in keyboard shortcuts for some of what you suggest. Check the Tags menu and its submenus to see what keyboard shortcuts are available. For example, use Ctrl+Shift+L for <li>|</li>, Alt+P for <p>|</p>, Ctrl+B for <strong>|</strong>, and Ctrl+I for <em>|</em>.

In the HTML Inserter, there are a lot of options for "span". Check it out and see what is available.

One good tip is that if you use something from any inserter, then you can easily repeat it by pressing F4, which repeats the last text insertion or text selection/sort command.

If, after researching the above, you still want something added, then please let me know exactly what you'd like to do.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Re: Typing Shortcut

Post by roedygr »

one more. A keystroke to to remove the immediate enclosing par of tags

You just have to click anywhere between the two tags or select something in there.