Improve Batch Wizard's report

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
MBaas
Rank I - Novice

Improve Batch Wizard's report

Post by MBaas »

My main use of HTMLvalidator has been to debug individual files that I'm working on. But in another project I now had to mass-validate a few 1000 files - so I switched to the BatchWizard for that purpose. It created 40 pages out error-output that I have to work through <argh>.

But here's a request for the Summary-Page: I'd like to see an "inverse list" which shows me the various errors that were found and then a list of files containing that error - with a link to each file's validation report.

Also, the options in "Validator Engine" > "Message Output" > "Message ID" do not seem to provide an interface to add more "ignore-strings" or to edit current entries - am I missing something? If not, I would find such a feature very useful! The files that I work with contain extra-tags which I would like to completely exclude from the validation - they are dealt with by another program which processes the HTML as input and I'm really only concerned about that HTML, not the additional tags. (The tags are consistent etc, but the validator complains about them being misplaces inside <p> where only phrasing content is allowed. I would not like to disable that msg alltogether but instead just have BW ignore these tags completely...)

Finally, the files come with an XHTML-header, but I would like to force HTML4-validation for a start (we are aware that some tags do not fulfill the more advanced HTML5-Criteria and we're aiming to get there...but the immediate start would be just basic HTML4-checking (i.e, make sure that all tags match etc.) - is that doable?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Improve batch-wizard's report

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MBaas wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am But here's a request for the Summary-Page: I'd like to see an "inverse list" which shows me the various errors that were found and then a list of files containing that error - with a link to each file's validation report.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think it's a good one but I'll have to think about the implementation. I don't think I can get this added in the next major release but maybe in one of the updates in 2018 (no promises though!).
MBaas wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 amAlso, the options in "Validator Engine" > "Message Output" > "Message ID" do not seem to provide an interface to add more "ignore-strings" or to edit current entries - am I missing something?
The only editing allowed there is to toggle the 'Disabled' column and to delete entries. If you want to add entries then you should cause the message to appear in the Results Window (by validating something that generates the message) and then right-click on the message and add the entry there (by choosing to disable the message or change its message type).
MBaas wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 amThe files that I work with contain extra-tags which I would like to completely exclude from the validation - they are dealt with by another program which processes the HTML as input and I'm really only concerned about that HTML, not the additional tags. (The tags are consistent etc, but the validator complains about them being misplaces inside <p> where only phrasing content is allowed. I would not like to disable that msg alltogether but instead just have BW ignore these tags completely...)
It sounds like the best solution to this might be to write a simple TNPL script to exclude these messages or change their type. I can help you with this if you want to provide more detail about the messages you want to suppress. If you can send me a sample document then that would be great.

Here is more information about the function you can use to alter the message output:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/current/d ... _msgid.htm

You might also be able to use this function to totally ignore specific tags:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/current/d ... agname.htm
MBaas wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am Finally, the files come with an XHTML-header, but I would like to force HTML4-validation for a start (we are aware that some tags do not fulfill the more advanced HTML5-Criteria and we're aiming to get there...but the immediate start would be just basic HTML4-checking (i.e, make sure that all tags match etc.) - is that doable?
It may be possible to do what you want, or at least partially, by disabling the HTML 5 categories in the Configuration Editor. These include "HTML5", "HTML 5.1", and "HTML 5.2". I haven't tested this though and there may be complications. You could possibly write a TNPL script to control this with a validator flag, so if the flag is unset then these categories are automatically disabled. If you want to try this approach then let me know and I will look into it in more detail.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MBaas
Rank I - Novice

Post by MBaas »

Thanks Al, I'm happy your considering this suggestion :-)

Also thanks for suggestions re. "simple TNPL"-scripts - yet another adventure! ;-)
I started a bit coding and have one or two questions, so I'll send you an email and enclose a sample file.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thank you. I received the email and sample file and replied back with some user functions to try.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MBaas wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am My main use of HTMLvalidator has been to debug individual files that I'm working on. But in another project I now had to mass-validate a few 1000 files - so I switched to the BatchWizard for that purpose. It created 40 pages out error-output that I have to work through <argh>.

But here's a request for the Summary-Page: I'd like to see an "inverse list" which shows me the various errors that were found and then a list of files containing that error - with a link to each file's validation report.
I've been working on this feature lately. If you like to try it and test it before an official release then please PM me or email me. Thanks!
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

UPDATE: CSS HTML Validator 2018/v18.01 has now been released and has a new "By Message" Batch Wizard report. Please note that the Batch Wizard is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.