Try File->Open from the Web in v9.0 BETA 3

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Try File->Open from the Web in v9.0 BETA 3

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I spent a few hours improving how File->Open from the Web works in CSE HTML Validator v9.0 BETA 3 (now available). It will now show details about the request (like the HTTP headers received from the server and the commands sent to the server). Also, a user can now cancel the request with the new 'Cancel' button. I think this could be helpful to web developers. I'm interested in any comments anyone might have about this new addition. Do you think you will find it useful at some point?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

This is really useful.

I've only run it on a few pages and I can even imagine firing up CSE to get this display. (Although it doesn't replace a tool like Fiddler, it's very succinct.)

The "using proxy" line has obvious use in debugging.

Seeing cookies set, seeing the browser string... all useful.

It also gives a crude idea of the connection speed.

I've resized that window to show the whole conversation for a typical connection. (Works with https too.)

A great addition. Thanks.

I can imagine people who are a bit rusty of what happens with a page request using it to remind themselves.
John Zeman
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by John Zeman »

I agree. I am going to get a lot of use from this feature. Every so often I have a need to look at the source code of a web document I did not create and for years I've been using the GrabURL utility to do so, but this is much better.

The one suggestion I would offer for consideration is the Open Progress dialog box gets pushed to the back once the document is loaded. I would prefer it to stay on top when the "Automatically Close this dialog" option is not checked.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

John Zeman wrote:I agree. I am going to get a lot of use from this feature. Every so often I have a need to look at the source code of a web document I did not create and for years I've been using the GrabURL utility to do so, but this is much better.
Great! I'm glad this will be useful to you.
John Zeman wrote:The one suggestion I would offer for consideration is the Open Progress dialog box gets pushed to the back once the document is loaded. I would prefer it to stay on top when the "Automatically Close this dialog" option is not checked.
Thanks, I think that makes sense. I will most likely implement this or some option to better control if the window stays on top.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

John Zeman wrote:The one suggestion I would offer for consideration is the Open Progress dialog box gets pushed to the back once the document is loaded. I would prefer it to stay on top when the "Automatically Close this dialog" option is not checked.
Hi John,

In BETA 4, I've added a "Keep window on top" option.