Windows 2000 - anyone still use?

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Windows 2000 - anyone still use?

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Is there anyone here that uses or knows of someone who still uses Windows 2000 for web development work? I really liked that OS in its day, but its time has come and gone. I will probably drop Windows 2000 support in a future version of CSE HTML Validator. I don't suspect that will be a significant issue. :D
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
alnico
Rank I - Novice

Re: Windows 2000 - anyone still use?

Post by alnico »

Err... No
olbeggaols
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by olbeggaols »

Hello Albert,

Yes. I still use W2k. A month or so ago I added a new W7 64bit which impresses me as the real next generation after W2k. Everything just seems to work; set up with the Windows Classic desktop I hardly notice the difference. One difference is important: the security setup on the W7 machine inspires confidence even without the additional tools I have added; and, also, things like the fact that I cannot update the I.E. browser to the latest version are impediments to web development. I still use W2k because it is so highly customized to my work and also because a large number of small things are not compatable with W7. What I have also done is to install VMWare Workstation with a W2k Virtual Machine for many of the same reasons. Hopefully at some point I will be able to once again work on just one machine and keyboard. (Two keyboards, a mouse and a trackball have me trying to cut and paste from one machine to the other, wondering why the use of the mouse/trackball has stopped functioning, etc.) A tablet (not a pc, a pen thing for use on Photoshop images) which is incompatable with a i7Q4 processor and motherboard but which is important for what I do is another reason I keep the W2k box.

I see I must also keep the old version of HTML Validator for use on W2k if your support is to be discontinued on later versions.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

It's "official". The next major release of CSE HTML Validator won't officially support Windows 2000. It may still work, but I suspect there would be issues if it does.

olbeggaols, are you currently running CSE HTML Validator in a Windows 2000 environment?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial