File saved with Validator show UTF-8 Error on W3 Validation

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Topshed9
Rank I - Novice

File saved with Validator show UTF-8 Error on W3 Validation

Post by Topshed9 »

Help required with UTF-1 with BOM
I am using "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html lang="en"> "

I cannot find a way to fix the encoding with this problem in Validator,
Doing so in Notepad++ is clunky because it only works sometimes, it appears that the copy/paste sets it back to With BOM.
Also Validator does not report the error which means I have a longish wait for the
W3 engine to produce the error report.
ie: change the UTF-8 to without BOM in Notepad++ cut and paste into validator, upload new file and then run it in my browser and use W3 to see if it is fixed which is very time consuming
I want to include this error report within my CSE validation

Also

Using the above Strict Doctype also produces this error with W3 validation but not in CSE
" NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES "
as the Error seems to be specific to the Strict Doc type It would also be useful to have this error reported in CSE

Regards Roy...
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: File saved with Validator show UTF-8 Error on W3 Validat

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

In order for me to reproduce this, can you send me a sample document (or URL) via email to support@htmlvalidator.com as well as the exact message text of the error you are getting with the W3C validator but not CSE HTML Validator? Thanks.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial