How do you eliminate the horizontal scroll bar?

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Dance10Looks10
Rank 0 - Newcomer

How do you eliminate the horizontal scroll bar?

Post by Dance10Looks10 »

When I have scroll=”auto” I get a horizontal scrollbar whether I want one or not.

I know that if you make the total screen width less than 100%, it is supposed to solve the problem. I see it in every one else’s code but it doesn’t work for me. Arrrggggghhhh!

I need it to work in both full screen mode and in a fieldset. Any help is gratefully appreciated!
DrWhoToo
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Scroll Bar is Browser Specific

Post by DrWhoToo »

The auto value works differently in IE and Firefox. I believe Firefox always puts it in. I know it does when you set the value to yes.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Re: How do you eliminate the horizontal scroll bar?

Post by paulp575 »

Dance10Looks10 wrote:When I have scroll=”auto” I get a horizontal scrollbar whether I want one or not.

I know that if you make the total screen width less than 100%, it is supposed to solve the problem. I see it in every one else’s code but it doesn’t work for me. Arrrggggghhhh!

I need it to work in both full screen mode and in a fieldset. Any help is gratefully appreciated!
I never, never use an exact with for anything on my web pages.
I always use a percentage that way regardless of the user's screen resolution and monitor size (width), there should be no horizontal scroll bar!

If for some reason, I must declare an exact width (generally a cell width in a table), I ensure the other cell(s) in the same row use a percentage.
Not sure that's legal, but it works for me!

Not guaranteeing this will solve your problem, but hoping it will help!
paulp575
worrall
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by worrall »

As you saying that the horizontal is coming whether you want or not i think it is because you set the scroll=”auto” . So in order to change the default value please use the yes or no values i.e., change the value of the scroll yes or no according to your requirement. Always dont use the value auto if it doesn't required for you.
Bain1971
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Bain1971 »

Thanks Worrall, I've been trying to figure this out for a while now.