spell checking

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

spell checking

Post by roedygr »

I upgraded to 17 on the understanding spell checking was greatly enhanced. I have not noticed any difference.
I was hoping for:

á treated like a single letter by the spell checker.
language specific spell checking bases on la=fr tag.
rear<wbr>guard would be spell-checked as rearguard.
<span class="bold">rear</span>guard would be spell-checked as rearguard.

Is there something I must configure to turn on the new features?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: spell checking

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

The editor live spelling and spell check function (F7) should operate the same way as in previous versions. However, the validator engine (which is used when validating a document) has the more advanced spell-checking and parsing, which should take into account character references and the "lang" attribute, so the validator message the lists the misspelled words should be more accurate.

It won't check rear<wbr>guard as rearguard, however ("wbr" is not one of the elements it ignores for spell-checking). I will look into adding this for the next update.

UPDATE: v17.01+ should treat words words with <wbr> in them as a single word (again, for the validator spelling message only; not for live spelling or the editor's F7 spell check function).
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

I would request put the new functions into f7. That is how I do my corrections.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

roedygr wrote:I would request put the new functions into f7. That is how I do my corrections.
Yes, I understand... unfortunately I don't have a lot of control over how that works. I requested that the spell checker work with character references awhile back but it seems as though they are not developing the spell checker component anymore. :(

I'll try to look into the character reference issue a little further and see if it's possible to improve how the F7 spell-check works.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
richtatum
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by richtatum »

I would appreciate this as well, as the spell-checker seems throws errors on words like doesn&rsquo;t, and even adding them to my custom dictionary fails to help. :(
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I requested this feature a long time ago. I am trying to revive it from the dead in case there is any hope of the spell checker component used in CSS HTML Validator supporting this...

http://www.addictivesoftware.com/phpBB3 ... 491#p18491
richtatum
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by richtatum »

Following up, thanks Albert! I saw your post there. And I see there was no response. :(

»∵«
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

richtatum wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:29 pm Following up, thanks Albert! I saw your post there. And I see there was no response. :(
Unfortunately it doesn't look like this is going to happen... :( but I just left another reply to try again.