Testing CSS in IE^

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Mike Mason
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Testing CSS in IE^

Post by Mike Mason »

I'm building some css drop down menus. They are OK in IE7, Mozilla, Opera etc but don't work at all in IE6. There are hacks on Stu Nichols excellent site cssPlay to solve this but how can I test my menus on IE6 without installing it? Or how can I get IE6 to run on a PC with IE7 installed? Does anyone know of any websites that will check css on IE6 for me - for free hopefully.
mikejmason
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Mike,

One thing you might consider is using a virtual machine. This is great for testing.

Microsoft VirtualPC is free:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... fault.mspx

Then you can install Windows 2000 or XP or even Vista in a virtual machine and use it for testing. Be sure not to update to IE 7 though in the virtual machine!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Luckychair
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Install Multiple Versions of IE

Post by Luckychair »

You should also consider installing multiple versions of IE. Check out this article: http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE and download the free Multiple IE installer.
Sue Jenkins
Luckychair.com
Author of:
Web Design: The L-Line, The Express Line to Learning
John_raf
Rank 0 - Newcomer

multiple versions of ie

Post by John_raf »

I would read the Microsoft (and others) data first before considering installing other software on your computer that enables installation of other versions of explorer,, I did go into this quite a lot and remember coming to the conclusion that the "only safe way" is to use the "free" virtual computer that ms offer,, hope this also helps.
Happy to communicate on a forum, provided good manners are employed, good none aggressive conversation is enjoyable. None of us ever stop learning!
Mike Mason
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Many thanks

Post by Mike Mason »

Many thanks for that - a great help
mikejmason
havank
Rank 0 - Newcomer

ie7

Post by havank »

To get it working in ie5 and ie6 take a look at dean.edwards.name/IE7/

It will allow you to use standards compliant css without further hacks.
Mike Mason
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Testing CSS in IE6

Post by Mike Mason »

I loaded down the multiple IE browser pack from Microsoft and it installed fine on XP Pro. I got css slide menu dropdowns working (and W3C validating) in Mozilla, IE7 and IE6. Took hours of coding and it still doesn't work in IE5.5 but that browser is just bag of old spanners anyway.
mikejmason