Browser specific properties

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Browser specific properties

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I have been working on CSS3 support in CSE HTML Validator. For example, supporting the new "border-image" properties. It seems that browsers from different sources have their proprietary versions of these properties because CSS3 is not finalized yet. This means that instead of just something like this:

Code: Select all

border-image: url('border.png') 27 27 27 27 round round;
You may need this "mess" with all the proprietary properties that start with a dash:

Code: Select all

-o-border-image: url('border.png') 27 27 27 27 round round;
-icab-border-image: url('border.png') 27 27 27 27 round round;
-khtml-border-image: url('border.png') 27 27 27 27 round round;
-moz-border-image: url('border.png') 27 27 27 27 round round;
-webkit-border-image: url('border.png') 27 27 27 27 round round;
border-image: url('border.png') 27 27 27 27 round round;
So far, I haven't added much or any support for checking these proprietary properties. FOr the most part, it will ignore properties beginning with a dash character and generate a message telling this to the user.

I'd like opinions on how to handle this? Some options:

1. Continue to ignore properties starting with a dash but generate a message saying so (that these properties are being ignored).

2. If a property like "border-image" is used, then display a message about using the proprietary properties (if not already used) - like -moz-border-image and -o-border-image and ALSO check these properties for syntax using the same checking that is done for "border-image".

3. Other option?

Comments? Thanks!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
CA Traveler
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: Browser specific properties

Post by CA Traveler »

Proprietary properties will exist for a number of years and probably even be carried into new versions for compatibility so they need to be accommodated. If you ignore properties that begin with a dash then that would apply to any future new properties. I wonder about # 2. What if someone is using say FF in an non IE shop?

My first thought was to would either ignore the proprietary lines or syntax check them. I thought that I read that there may be syntax differences in some of the details but maybe not. What if additional non compatible options are added later?

Just some thoughts.