Centering A Division

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Centering A Division

Post by paulp575 »

I am experiencing a problem trying to center a division in an XHTML document.

HTML validator says I can not use <div align="center"> and suggests I use the style of TEXT-ALIGN: Center.

However, that only works for text.

I need to center an entire division.

What to do???

Thanks,
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Centering A Division

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I believe I've changed the referred to message to:
[82] The "align" attribute may not be used with the "div" element in a strict XHTML 1.0 document. Instead of align="center", consider using the CSS "text-align: center" instead. To center a block, use the CSS "margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto".

I added this part:
To center a block, use the CSS "margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto".

Try using the CSS "margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto". Please let me know how it works.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
ardeezstyle
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by ardeezstyle »

Hi Albert,

when you are talking about centering the using css property margin-left/margin-right auto, it is important that you mention the width for the div as without a specified width the div will not be centered or should I say the centering of the div will not be visible.

Cheers!
pandaa
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by pandaa »

<div align="center" /> usually works fine, but you can also do <div class="x" /> and refer to external CSS. :)
dscontroller
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by dscontroller »

I entirely agree with ardeezstyle but ensure that the width of the div is less than the div it is contained within.

David
ianinfrance
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by ianinfrance »

I find that for images, this little snippet can be quite useful

IMG.centred {
display: block;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
}

Then when you want an image to be centred (I'm english, so I use English spelling sorry) in a div you just need to do

img class="centred" src="foo.bar"
As a division is defined as a block normally, then if I want it to be centred in some kind of container (body or article or another division) I automatically add
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto
to the division's definition.

Though as ardeezstyle says, the width has to be specified one way or another. In a vague attempt to keep the page legible in a variety of viewport dimensions, I tend to use width: xx%; as well.