Meaning of Error, Warning, Message and Comment

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
dhemming
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Meaning of Error, Warning, Message and Comment

Post by dhemming »

What would be good definitions for the 4 message types in CSE:
Error:
Warning:

Errors are true coding errors according to HTML standards? But how serious is that and why is it serious?
Warnings are?
Messages are?
Comments are sometimes are suggestions for improvements and sometimes are information messages?

Is there anywhere in help where these labels are defined? I can't seem to find it.

My management is convinced that any coding is good as long as it works on the boss's computer.

Thanks,
Dale Hemming
Lou
Rank V - Professional
Rank V - Professional

Re: Meaning of Error, Warning, Message and Comment

Post by Lou »

dhemming wrote: My management is convinced that any coding is good as long as it works on the boss's computer.

Dale Hemming
My heart goes out to you Dale. With that myopic view it would seem "the boss" is the only target of your work. Hope they don't decide it would be even more cost effective to just send him a memo and totally cut out any other audience. In addition to other things you have a real education project in your future.

Lou
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Dale,

I definitely should have better documentation about that. Version 8 should have a better help system.

Here's how I would define the different message types:
  • Errors - (red) The most important issues most likely to cause problems for visitors. Errors can also be issues that are flagrantly against the standards.
    Warnings - (yellow) Issues that may or may not cause problems for visitors, perhaps depending on the visitor's browser, but that you should know about. These may include issues against the standard but that are less likely to be problematic.
    Message - (blue) Generally useful information that will probably not cause problems for visitors. Unlike comments, messages are usually tied to a specific part of the document so that clicking on them in the editor takes you to a specific part of the document.
    Comments - (green) Similar to messages, but not usually tied to a specific section of the document. Comments typically give information (like the type, byte size, and download times of the document), or advice (like using an ICRA RDF label in the document).
Good luck convincing your boss that HTML should be correct (though it seems pretty logical to me)! :-)