Speaking of css bloat...

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Speaking of css bloat...

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:35 am Albert do you have any plans to expand past classes and id's?

For example, my css reset included table elements for my home page, yet there was no table there at all. These were not used anywhere so were removed:

Code: Select all

sup,fieldset,table,tbody,tr,th,td
So far I've found this feature very useful and I've only used it on my home page. :D
Looks like this will make it into the official 2018 release after all. :D

I just finished testing it. Testing was brief though, so there could be some issues or unforeseen details that might pop up.... but that's always the case regardless. :)
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Cool!
Rick
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Albert Wiersch wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:04 pm Due to buggy components I had to revert the Message Window editor back to an older component that works with fewer bugs but that does not hyperlink the links. Is hyperlinking the links in the Message Window what you mostly mean by wanting styled message window content? If not then can you be more specific?

As for double-clicking on a class name, it may be possible to make it so that whenever you double-click on a word in the Message Window then it highlights the word and searches for it. Would that be helpful? You could then quickly do a search on any word in the Message Window, and this should include class names and IDs.
I prefer html or some kind of styling to make the Message Window easier to read. Of course working links would be nice too, but I thought they already work?

Double clicking the class/id name to delete it, would be a nice addition, IMHO.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 amI prefer html or some kind of styling to make the Message Window easier to read. Of course working links would be nice too, but I thought they already work?
I am switching to Consolas as the default font for the Message Window so that may make it easier to read.

Does the Message Window show working links for you? I found that while it would appear to highlight the links so you could click on them, when you did click on them it didn't work right (didn't open the link properly). :( I hope to bring this back in a future update after they fix it (using yet another editor component which has bugs but this one is supported and they work to fix things (usually)).

In v17 and v18 BETAs, I was trying a new editor component for the Message Window that I had originally thought to replace the main editor component with, but, as I was afraid, that editor component is no longer properly supported. It looks like I will be sticking to the "tried and true" main editor component for the foreseeable future, but hope to switch to another one for the Message Window that will properly highlight links and make them clickable.

Confusing? :D Yes, I know.
RSteinwand wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 amDouble clicking the class/id name to delete it, would be a nice addition, IMHO.
You mean to select it and search for it? What I am thinking of doing is to make double-clicking in the Message Window select the word then the editor would automatically search for that word. This should work with class/id names as well as all the other words displayed in the Message Window.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Albert Wiersch wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:02 am I am switching to Consolas as the default font for the Message Window so that may make it easier to read.
What font are you using now? A font chooser would be nice, but then you'd have requests for choosing different fonts/sizes for each window PLUS having to have a form for the control. :roll:
Albert Wiersch wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:02 am Does the Message Window show working links for you? I found that while it would appear to highlight the links so you could click on them, when you did click on them it didn't work right (didn't open the link properly). :( I hope to bring this back in a future update after they fix it (using yet another editor component which has bugs but this one is supported and they work to fix things (usually)).
Sorry, apparently I was thinking of a previous version. The links are blue, but non-functional.
Albert Wiersch wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:02 am You mean to select it and search for it? What I am thinking of doing is to make double-clicking in the Message Window select the word then the editor would automatically search for that word. This should work with class/id names as well as all the other words displayed in the Message Window.
In theory, the only thing found should be the css declaration, but in theory, there could be several of them. So although I wanted to say it could just highlight it, a search should be better.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:36 amWhat font are you using now? A font chooser would be nice, but then you'd have requests for choosing different fonts/sizes for each window PLUS having to have a form for the control. :roll:
I think Verdana... off the top of my head.

A font chooser might be nice... but I don't want to implement it unless it is clear the demand is there for it and the benefits outweigh the negatives.
RSteinwand wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:36 amIn theory, the only thing found should be the css declaration, but in theory, there could be several of them. So although I wanted to say it could just highlight it, a search should be better.
The search would just do your standard document search for the selected word... and hopefully would find the desired class name, ID, or whatever... but of course it would also find anything else matching as well, even if it wasn't an actual CSS class name or ID or whatever one might have expected.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Albert Wiersch wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:19 am The search would just do your standard document search for the selected word... and hopefully would find the desired class name, ID, or whatever... but of course it would also find anything else matching as well, even if it wasn't an actual CSS class name or ID or whatever one might have expected.
That was my experience today in other software, where I was searching for a procedure and other procedures where displayed since they had that name in the procedure name. It was super-annoying. OTOH, if your search is case-sensitive, maybe you'd have less false-positives. :idea:
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Albert Wiersch wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:38 amLooks like this will make it into the official 2018 release after all. :D

I just finished testing it. Testing was brief though, so there could be some issues or unforeseen details that might pop up.... but that's always the case regardless. :)
The official 2018 release is now available for download (v18.0003)! Although I haven't fully changed the website and update system to reflect this -- yet. Will probably do that early next year and have a slower roll-out of the new version.

You will need a 2018/v18 key to download it but if you can please give it a try and see how the new checking for unused type selectors works (which was added to the checking for unused class names and IDs).
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Sounds great.

Thanks.
Rick