HTML Tidy, HTML Validator and "

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
pretentious
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

HTML Tidy, HTML Validator and "

Post by pretentious »

I am not sure whether this exact item has been covered (I couldn't find it with a search) so I hope I'm not wasting everyones time. I know HTML Tidy is a third party product and is only interfaced in HTML Validator but it seems very odd that Tidy screws up the code passed back to Validator.

If I send the following line <li>1990 - "Bo'Qu" Bourbonese Qualk 1982-1990 (New International NIR 904) LP</li> through Validator it likes it just fine. I then run it through Tidy and accept any changes. Pass it back To Validator and re-valiudate it and the "s are removed and replaced with " which are errors to Validator and my mind as well. Very strange that it would pass back such a basic error.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

T
"We wade in imperfect solutions." Simon Jeffes
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

It's technically OK to use double quotes in text instead of the entity reference. I would recommend that you make sure the "Allow " in text" option is checked in the Validator Engine Options, Validator 2 tab, then you shouldn't get errors with CSE HTML Validator.

If you want to use the entity reference though, there are some HTML Tidy options that may help, like the quote-marks option. Here is the quick reference:
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickr ... -ampersand

You can setup an HTML Tidy profile in CSE HTML Validator with the HTML Tidy options you want.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I've learned to treat Tidy with caution.

I sometimes use it for a rough cut when fixing medium-bad markup. I've never been able to force it to do exactly what I want. I then take it's product and fix it. After that I don't let Tidy anywhere near the markup ever again.

Unfortunately a lot of markup that some WYSIWYG tool has touched along the way is too ruined for this. The most cost effective approach is often to get the text only and re-create markup.
pretentious
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by pretentious »

Hi Albert,

Thank you for your thoughts. I actually prefer to have " used within text when I am coding and HTML Validator doesn't cause me any problems at all with that. For me to make using HTML Tidy workable I will have to look into writing a new profile for it. I'll give that a look and go from there.

Your thoughts are always greatly appreciated.

T
"We wade in imperfect solutions." Simon Jeffes