Linux version?

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
tiggsy
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Is there a linux version?

Post by tiggsy »

I just swapped over to linux a while back, not really through choice, but because I can't get windows to run any more, and I need linux so i can run php/mysql at home, rather than having to repeatedly upload stuff to the server during development.

So... although I am using gedit right now, i really miss CSE Validator for its functionality and ease of use, plus I had a whole set of quick tags set up that I use all the time.

Is there a linux version available?

Alternatively, will it run under Wine?

If the answer to either of these is yes, I will have to go about retrieving my password, buried deep in an Image backup which I am unable to access at the moment...
My business is helping your business to make more money
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Sorry, there is no native Linux version available and I have not tested it in WINE. Maybe someone else knows?

If by password you mean your CSS HTML Validator registration information, then you can have that emailed to you here:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/sendkey.php
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
tiggsy
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Shame, but I think I asked this before, and knew the answer

Post by tiggsy »

But I will keep watching this thread, in case someone has used it with Wine or some other emulator...
mhl
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Success with wine!

Post by mhl »

Although this thread is 9 months old, hopefully it isn't dead - because I can report that I have CSE running under Linux using wine.

I'm using Linux Mint 6, wine 1.0.1 and CSE Lite v9.0202. Although I am fairly familiar with Linux I have not previously tried wine, and I was totally amazed at how simple it was to install CSE. As a newcomer to CSE, all I can report is that it appears to do absolutely everything that it does on my Win XP box.

It's certainly worth a try tiggsy.
tiggsy
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Maybe i will try it under Wine

Post by tiggsy »

Thanks for the info.

I've been using Gedit, but it's sadly lacking in all those features i loved so much.

Now all i've got to do is download it again, get my registration info...

It's probably several versions on by now, so i guess I will need an upgrade as well.

Well, I will maybe do it tomorrow. Bit busy and a little late tonight...
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Success with wine!

Post by Albert Wiersch »

mhl wrote:Although this thread is 9 months old, hopefully it isn't dead - because I can report that I have CSE running under Linux using wine.
That's great! I hope to find some time and try it out for myself. It would be good to post some details on the site about running CSE HTML Validator on Linux.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
tiggsy
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Seems to work - except help

Post by tiggsy »

It seems to work except for help, which is iffy. Nm, don't use it much, anyway. Was just trying to find out how to put a single quote in a user string, as i can't remember. But i think it's just &#37, so i will try that.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Seems to work - except help

Post by Albert Wiersch »

tiggsy wrote:It seems to work except for help, which is iffy. Nm, don't use it much, anyway. Was just trying to find out how to put a single quote in a user string, as i can't remember. But i think it's just &#37, so i will try that.
I think you want "#39" for a single apostrophe.

I have a system I plan to try Ubuntu Linux on and I will try WINE and do some experimenting with some Windows applications like CSE HTML Validator. If all goes well, I'll post some info on the site about it.
tiggsy
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Single apostrophe

Post by tiggsy »

Yes, I worked that out. But it didn't work. Mind you, there were other problems with the file, maybe i will try again.

Trial and error is pretty much the way i go with everything!
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Success with wine!

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Albert Wiersch wrote:
mhl wrote:Although this thread is 9 months old, hopefully it isn't dead - because I can report that I have CSE running under Linux using wine.
That's great! I hope to find some time and try it out for myself. It would be good to post some details on the site about running CSE HTML Validator on Linux.
I tried CSE HTML Validator Lite in Wine 1.0.1. As expected, performance was a bit slow and I experienced some crashes. Using the help file seemed to have something to do with speeding up the time until a crash, and the help file window couldn't be resized.

Some of the icons had a black background. Telling Wine to run CSE HTML Validator under "Windows 2000" took care of that issue.

So it seems somewhat usable but the slowness of the emulation is a big downside.

Wine seems pretty interesting though. Being able to run Windows programs like it lets you do on Linux is a great concept.
tiggsy
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Wine and CSE HTML Validator

Post by tiggsy »

Yes, I'm happy to have CSE back in action after a number of months away (as I don't have Windows on this machine any more... long story). I don't notice any slowness (alienware is fast enough to cover that sort of thing), though I do get the odd crash. Not too bad, so far, touching wood, I haven't lost anything.

It is SO much better than Gedit, just being able to "bracket" stuff is so useful. I installed Autokey to try and duplicate that, but I couldn't get it to work right.

I always recommend CSE to anyone asking for an editor for programming.

One thing I have noticed, which has only started occurring since I went back to using CSE is that the shebang at the top of php files meant to be run as cgi seems to get corrupted for no apparent reason. It only happens when I have edited them in CSE. It LOOKS ok, but the program won't run from cron until I paste the same thing over the top from another cgi file. Any way to stop this happening? It's only marginally annoying, as I do check my cron notifies regularly.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Wine and CSE HTML Validator

Post by Albert Wiersch »

tiggsy wrote:One thing I have noticed, which has only started occurring since I went back to using CSE is that the shebang at the top of php files meant to be run as cgi seems to get corrupted for no apparent reason. It only happens when I have edited them in CSE. It LOOKS ok, but the program won't run from cron until I paste the same thing over the top from another cgi file. Any way to stop this happening? It's only marginally annoying, as I do check my cron notifies regularly.
Hello,

Are you using the latest version, v9.0221? If not, then please upgrade to that. There may have been an issue in earlier versions where files were being loaded as UTF-8 when they shouldn't have been. If a file is thought to be UTF-8, then it is possible that it could be saved with the UTF-8 encoding signature. If you experience another corruption, then please try File->Save with Encoding and, if checked, uncheck the "Use encoding signature" option.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I briefly tested CSE HTML Validator on VirtualBox OSE in Ubuntu today and it seems to work well. Performance is better than Wine and issues appear to be much less (no strange crashing and the help works correctly). It takes longer to setup though and you need a Windows license.
tiggsy
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Virtual box

Post by tiggsy »

I have tried various virtual machines, but all except Wine require a windows disk to install windows inside them. As my computer, like most, came with windows pre-installed and a Clone disk, not a proper Windows disk, I am unable to do this.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Virtual box

Post by Albert Wiersch »

tiggsy wrote:I have tried various virtual machines, but all except Wine require a windows disk to install windows inside them. As my computer, like most, came with windows pre-installed and a Clone disk, not a proper Windows disk, I am unable to do this.
If you could get/borrow an OS disc somewhere, then I think you'd like running Windows in a virtual machine. Since it sounds like Windows came with your computer, you should already have a license. The license key is probably stuck to your computer somewhere. If I were you, I'd give it a shot and see how it works... :D