Why doesn't it FTP?

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
Dwight_Stegall
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Why doesn't it FTP?

Post by Dwight_Stegall »

I love your validator software. But it would be even better if it also included a great FTP Client like Cute FTP.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

It would be nice to have but the support and development effort can't be justified. CSE HTML Validator is meant to be primarily a validator. Straying too far away from that would mean the primary function of the program will suffer.

There are 3rd party programs available that can map FTP sites to virtual drives. This may allow what you want.

I did a quick search and found these, but haven't used them myself:
WebDrive is more than just an FTP Client. By connecting to WebDAV, FTP, Amazon S3, FTPS, or SFTP servers through a virtual drive, there is no need to run a separate FTP client interface. Unlike a typical FTP client, WebDrive allows you to open and edit server-based files without the additional download step.
WebDrive:
http://www.webdrive.com/products/webdrive/index.html
With NetDrive, managing your remote FTP and WebDAV servers will be as easy as any old file folders on your PC.

Once you mount the local drive, you don't need to run an application or an FTP client interface but a simple drag-and-drop in your Windows Explorer will be sufficient to transfer and manage files.
NetDrive:
http://www.netdrive.net/

If you try one, then please let us know how it works!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

Albert Wiersch wrote:It would be nice to have but the support and development effort can't be justified.
I agree Albert. I am using an application that tries to include a FTP function. It works fine most of the time. However, the ISP for one of the domains I support has established a SFTP which the app's FTP function can't handle.

The only way to force the app to generate the proper relative file structure is to FTP to a "normal" location then use a real FTP application to move files to the final location.

You already have a full plate, IMHO
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.