What is a link farm?

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
rcroy72

What is a link farm?

Post by rcroy72 »

Albert

I am new here and it seems that you are an authority on this site so I thought I would ask you a question if I might.

I've heard so much about linking and link farms, can you tell me what is and what is not a link farm? There are some popular sites who claim not to be a link farm but people say they are. How can you tell?

Thank you.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: What is a link farm?

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I think the best answer may be to just refer you to the Wikipedia article on "link farms":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_farm

I think search engines are smart enough these days not to give much, if any, weight to links on link farms. I suspect it can even damage your ranking in some cases. So my general recommendation has been, and remains, to stay away from anything that is solely or mainly designed to artificially inflate your search engine rankings. Try to concentrate on original and high-quality content that people want to actually read. :D
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
rcroy72

Post by rcroy72 »

Albert

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time. I will keep
looking into the subject.
cadomagenge
Rank I - Novice

Post by cadomagenge »

Link Farm is a set of web pages created with the sole aim of linking to a target page, in an attempt to improve that page's search engine ranking.
MathewCox
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by MathewCox »

Hello! I am new here as well, from what I have read, link farms are a group of websites created only for the purpose of increasing the link popularity of another site by increasing the number of incoming links. A link farm usually looks like a regular web page, but the majority of the content is often random and unrelated to other websites, I hope to have answered your question :D