Old SEO is finally dead

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Old SEO is finally dead

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Here's an interesting piece on old SEO finally being dead... as in completely dead.

And what finally killed it off you may ask? They say artificial intelligence and natural language processing.

http://www.christopherspenn.com/2017/01 ... f-old-seo/
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Old SEO is finally dead

Post by MikeGale »

People who produced this sort of junk site (word salad unreadable nonsense) deserve what they've now got.

In a way the problem was caused by search engines.

(It may be a bit insulting to call it SEO though.)
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 am This looks interesting: https://neilpatel.com/blog/master-title-tags/
Thanks. Good article. I added an emoticon to our main page's title. Let's see how long it takes to appear in Google's results. :)

This is a good page to see what emoticons are available, what they look like, and the HTML entity you can use for them:
https://apps.timwhitlock.info/emoji/tables/unicode
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Kilo_SSK
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Kilo_SSK »

Spammy SEO is dead... Does that make you a zombie, hindsjohn?

Nah, more seriously, who cares if "old" SEO is dead or not? If one way to do it doesn't work anymore, a new one will appear within days, and people will start doing that instead.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

To see the importance of organic (i.e. that may be improved by SEO) compared to adverts, here's an interesting recent article:

https://searchengineland.com/49-of-all- ... nds-318426

Organic is important, though search engine companies (or at least one of them) are gradually capturing more clicks for themselves.
Kilo_SSK
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Kilo_SSK »

Of course, why wouldn't them to try and capitalise on that as well? I mean, they're the reason why SEO exists, so they're trying to take full advantage of it...
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thank you Mike. I just got around to reading the searchengineland link. Very interesting and also worrisome that Google has so much power and is putting so many ads on their search results pages now that organic results don't even show on some mobile searches unless one scrolls down.

When I do a search and see the site I'm looking for in an ad link, I can often look down a little more and see a link to the same-site in the organic results... so I like clicking on that because it saves the company some advertising money.

I also like to give priority to the organic results because I know they are not "paid for".
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Agreed the organic links are the ones to click.

I find it concerning how the surveillance is steadily widening. I see that Google has now got hold of more pre-existing medical information, through a company called Ascension (from 150 US hospitals).

I also find people sharing links (all too often) that also widen surveillance. AMP links and Apple links are things I've seen too much of recently. I've manually processed AMP links to avoid the surveillance. Has anybody here gone further by implementing systems that do that automatically? A few thoughts come to mind:
  • YouTube redirected to HookTube
  • AMP fixed to go to the real site
  • Apple News links repaired to go direct
  • Browser modifications to hide adverts (quite easy in some cases)
aniketkumar
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by aniketkumar »

MikeGale wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:45 pm Agreed the organic links are the ones to click.

I find it concerning how the surveillance is steadily widening. I see that Google has now got hold of more pre-existing medical information, through a company called Ascension (from 150 US hospitals).

I also find people sharing links (all too often) that also widen surveillance. AMP links and Apple links are things I've seen too much of recently. I've manually processed AMP links to avoid the surveillance. Has anybody here gone further by implementing systems that do that automatically? A few thoughts come to mind:
  • YouTube redirected to HookTube
  • AMP fixed to go to the real site
  • Apple News links repaired to go direct
  • Browser modifications to hide adverts (quite easy in some cases)
I haven't seen YouTube redirecting to HookTube, as you tube is the video submission website by Google. And Google will not allow its brand to redirect to another website.