noscript alternative to application/ld+json scripts?

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
TomHTML
Rank III - Intermediate

noscript alternative to application/ld+json scripts?

Post by TomHTML »

I use several application/ld+json scripts for schema in my sites. The validator flags them with a blue message, saying,
All scripts must have a text alternative that can be changed into other forms people need, such as large print, braille, speech, symbols or simpler language. Consider using the "noscript" element to provide the text alternative. The content of the "noscript" element will be rendered if scripts are turned off or not supported (the Lynx text-only browser does not support scripts). This message is displayed only once. [Section 1194.22 (a)]
Does that mean that my schema script blocks need noscript alternatives? It seems that the schema blocks are just to help a search engine understand and categorize the site and its structure better. Where is the documentation on this, and what are some good examples of noscript alternatives to these if they are needed?

Many thanks,
Tom
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: noscript alternative to application/ld+json scripts?

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Tom,

I don't see any reason why that message should be generated unless it's an actual script that will be run/executed like JavaScript. I've addressed this in the next update.

Also, it looks like you are using Section 508 accessibility checking. Unless you have a good reason to use that, I would recommend that you disable it because it's deprecated/obsolete. Instead, please enable and use WCAG 2.0/2.1 checking.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
TomHTML
Rank III - Intermediate

Re: noscript alternative to application/ld+json scripts?

Post by TomHTML »

Excellent! And I did have 508 enabled...now it's disabled. Many thanks!