Adding numeric entities to HTML Validator

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Adding numeric entities to HTML Validator

Post by MikeGale »

Some time ago I was experimenting with emojis. (In the end I wasn't impressed with the coherence of the system.)

While doing that I found one emoji that Validator 2020 didn't recognise. (It was an odd one, that I'm embarrassed to mention, but it was part of the test suite, "🤮".)

Two questions:
  1. After entering something into an entity group, like all, how do I inspect that category to see all in it?
  2. I entered the entity as a numeric in the all group. Was that the right place to put it?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Adding numeric entities to HTML Validator

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Mike,

Thank you. It looks like the list of known Unicode characters needs to be updated again which I will work on.

I assume you added the character reference to the Configuration Editor? I would not recommend that as it's designed for case-sensitive entity names and it will get overwritten at the next update... but to answer your question, there is no way to view all the entities in a category other than selecting them in the Configuration Editor and looking at the chosen 'Entity category'.

Until the list of known characters is updated, I would right-click on that message (when displayed in the Main tab of the Results Window) and disable it by choosing 'Message Options->Disable using Exact Text Match'.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

UPDATE: I've updated the list of recognized Unicode characters based on:
https://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt

This one was
1F92E;FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH VOMITING;So;0;ON;;;;;N;;;;;

Nowadays, that character (🤮) is probably highly used. :D

I'll backport this update to 2020. I may do one more 2020 release that mainly includes some bug fixes backported from the development of 2021/v21.

Thank you for reporting this... it needed an update here.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Thanks. The emojis, in my view, are a bit of a mess.

In this case I was seeing whether one could create decent symbols along the line of a no smoking sign. A circle with diagonal slash laid over an underlying image. In this case it was a "no regurgi-posting" symbol that I attempted to make. It didn't work, the overlay, on the system I tested, didn't fit the background images well.