Mozilla layoffs

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Mozilla layoffs

Post by MikeGale »

I see that Mozilla is laying off 25% of its people.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2020/08/1 ... g-mozilla/

On Twitter look for #MozillaLifeboat

We are in danger of going in the wrong direction. I see suggestions that Chromium may fork.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Mozilla layoffs

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Wow.. that's big chunk of Mozilla employees.

The world seems to be continually consolidating around a single or very small number of BIG players. I can understand how the pandemic can accelerate that.

Here's another article:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/mozilla-l ... -products/

I'm not surprised Mozilla needs to concentrate more on products that are financially viable (i.e. not free).

It was also interesting to read about Mozilla's contract with Google which "historically accounted for around 90% of all of Mozilla's revenue". Sounds like they could be in real trouble if that contract is not renewed.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Second set of layoffs recently.

Their revenue stream has been like that for a long time. They know that Google will eventually go for the jugular. This is one reason I'd much rather pay for a browser, a browser that actually does what I want. Then I wouldn't be in the hands of designers who don't cater for or share my requirements.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Follow-up:
Mozilla and Google reportedly renew Firefox search agreement
Mozilla and Google have extended their arrangement to keep Google the default search engine within the Firefox browser until at least 2023, ZDNet reported. The companies have not formally announced the deal, which ZDNet estimates is worth between $400 and $450 million per year, but are expected to announce it later this fall. The current arrangement was due to expire at the end of 2020.
If true then I hope that means they will be around at least for the next few years given all that $$$$$.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Thanks for that.

I find it disturbing of how the "free browser" game has played out. It's led to the rise of advertising, and with users hooked on it, they end up wasting so much (Their time, getting bad content, bandwidth...)

I wonder how much the value of the deal influenced the layoffs. Is it a quarter less than previously? I don't know.

I'm not sure what will happen to wake people up and realise they can make a difference.