Windows 10 Edge browser bugs and Windows 10

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 Edge browser bugs and Windows 10

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 pm I just checked in two versions of Edge. The original and a "Canary Build" of the Chromium version.

I can confirm that it works in both. Those are versions 44... and 82...
Hi Mike,

Thanks for checking!

I found this link that helps explain Edge version numbers:
https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/ ... rsion/edge

I thought it went by the EdgeHTML version number... but apparently it isn't that simple.

Perhaps I should update all mentions of "Edge" in CSS HTML Validator to EdgeHTML? That would probably me more technically accurate because I've been using EdgeHTML version numbers for the compatibility info.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I just converted my Edge (non (development / "canary") version) to the Chromium based version. So I can't testing, in that browser, on the EdgeHTML engine any more.

A bit of a pity. EdgeHTML is still available as a component that I can add to any program, so it has important potential. Anybody here have recent experience using page rendering engines in their own programs?

Now it's harder to track down the exact version of the rendering engine in use. Anyone know how to lookup a Blink version from an Edge (Chromium) version?

I saw this page, https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us ... /ADV200002, but don't know whether it will be kept up to date.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:18 pmI saw this page, https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us ... /ADV200002, but don't know whether it will be kept up to date.
It looks like it's up to date as there is an entry there from just a few days ago.

All these browser engines (Chromium, Blink, WebKit, EdgeHTML, Trident, etc.) plus seemingly different names for the same or similar engine can be confusing.

In my own development environment, there is an updated browser component (TWebBrowser) that is suppose to use the Chromium based version of Edge if it's available and if not then it can fallback to the old Internet Explorer engine. I hope this works but I have not thoroughly tested it yet. I've tried to 'deprecate' the built-in browser support in CSS HTML Validator because of various issues (especially because it was basically obsolete because it used the Internet Explorer engine) and because an external browser can often easily be used instead.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I think it really sad that browsers as components are now hard to do. This is an important part of many potential software solutions. Without it we're forced to use browsers plus web servers.