"Windows version not supported" error

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
acroglobal
Rank 0 - Newcomer

"Windows version not supported" error

Post by acroglobal »

When trying to install CSS ValidatorStandard_190306 on Windows 7 X64 I get "Windows version not supported" error. Still happens if I set compatibility mode to Windows 7. Is there a way around this, or is V19 supported on Windows 8 and later only?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: "Windows version not supported" error

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

CSS HTML Validator 2019/v19 should work on Windows 7 but you will need to have Service Pack 1 or later installed. Do you have Service Pack 1 or later installed?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
acroglobal
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by acroglobal »

Yes, I have SP1 installed, which is the latest version of WIN 7 X64, also all Windows updates installed. FYI, some quirk of this copy of WIN 7 requires me to install anything later than XP using compatibility mode for WIN 7, as I attempted with CSS 19. Normally this works, but not this time. Also tried compatibility modes for XP and Vista, same result.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Sorry, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work then. It could be related to the quirk you mention about your specific Windows 7 installations.

Is the CSS HTML Validator setup program (installer) giving you the "Windows version not supported" error when you try to install it? Or is something else giving you that error?

Also, have you tried running/installing a more recent version, like 2022/v22? Perhaps the trial version? If not then please try that and let me know what happens. The current version should still work with Windows 7 although we will be dropping official support for Windows 7 and 8/8.1 with the next major release (2023/v23).
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
acroglobal
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by acroglobal »

Yes, install file "css-html-validator-190306personal-setup.exe" which is saved on C drive (where Windows 7 is) produces "unsupported version" error with compatibility unspecified or set to Windows 7. Same result with install file "CSS-HTML-Validator-Trial-Setup.exe" (V22). Install fie for "Validator Lite 16.05" (already installed) still runs normally with compatibility set to Windows 7.
acroglobal
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by acroglobal »

Also running Windows Compatibility Troubleshooter, disabling Program Compatibility Assistant Service and pausing antivirus program doesn't help.
acroglobal
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by acroglobal »

And V190306 installs normally with no compatibility changes on Windows 10 V2004.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

acroglobal wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:45 am Yes, install file "css-html-validator-190306personal-setup.exe" which is saved on C drive (where Windows 7 is) produces "unsupported version" error with compatibility unspecified or set to Windows 7. Same result with install file "CSS-HTML-Validator-Trial-Setup.exe" (V22). Install fie for "Validator Lite 16.05" (already installed) still runs normally with compatibility set to Windows 7.
We do not recommend using that free version anymore.

There's actually a newer version available of the FREE version that is licensed only for personal (or educational), non-commercial use. You can download it here:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/css-html- ... -setup.exe

Can you try the above version and let me know if it works as expected? If it still doesn't work on Windows 7 then I'm afraid this is something specific to your installation and I'm not sure how to resolve it. If you can send a screenshot of the error than I can do some further research.