Help with CSE Pro and HTML error messages

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
G
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Help with CSE Pro and HTML error messages

Post by G »

I helped a software developer bring his company back from the dead.

He has kindly written my websites in HTML code, which is impressive considering the likes of Dreamweaver and its equivalent are available. I knew nothing about web design but I have taught myself the basics. CSE online validation initially showed 123 errors so I used Dreamweaver V8.0.2 using it automatic correction facility.

My web site is:

http://www.software-discounts.co.uk/

Before I comment on the error messages and their resolution how do I get a file such as Ace Configuration Settings uploaded using Dreamweaver. As I have mentioned I can right-click and "Save Target As..." but I cannot single-click on the file to download it for IE, FF or Opera.

The code looks like this, which I can see is wrong. It did have 3 /// (and they have appeared again since) but I changed it on the advice of the free onsite validation that is given by this developer of CSE HTML Validator.

I was able to make a number of corrections using the web checker. It convinced me that it was a worthy program to have. I have CSE HTML Validator Professional V8.03.

Here is the code for both Ace Configuration Settings (does not work) and Registry Compactor V1.1 (works). This is only applicable for IE V6 SP1. For FireFox V2.0.0.2 and Opera V9.20.8713 neither Ace Configuration Settings nor Registry Compactor V1.1 can be downloaded.

The HTML code is as follows:

Ace Configuration Settings
Code will not post.

Registry Compactor V1.1
Code will not post.

I will post the other error messages in my next post.

Thanks for any assistance offered.
G
Rank 0 - Newcomer

CSE PRo HTML error messages

Post by G »

I was able to figure out most of the 123 errors but these I am unsure about. Any help would be appreciated.

Errors 1:
<style>
<!— (THIS IS THE PROBLEM ERROR)
body {
background-image: url(images/VistaDC_mhedBG.jpg);

CSE message:
In XHTML documents, style and script content must not be in a comment because it technically means that the browser will see it as a comment and not as actual style or script content (though browsers are currently forgiving about this). However, not using comments makes your document less compatible with pre HTML 3.2 browsers (but most browsers now in use are HTML 3.2+ compatible). For maximum compatibility, consider putting the style information in an external style sheet. The next best option for XHTML documents is to not put the style information in a comment because this is technically not what you want even though it may work with today's browsers.
CaryD
Rank II - Novice

Post by CaryD »

Your links should look something like this:

<a href="http://www.software-discounts.co.uk/Ace ... s.zip">Ace Configuration Settings</a>

and

<a href="http://www.software-discounts.co.uk/Reg ... ">Registry Compactor V1.1</a>

These are examples as I don't know where on your site these files can actually be found. The links need to be edited to point to the real locations on the web. At the moment you have them pointing to locations on your hard-drive.

It's best to avoid spaces in file names.

These two sets of marks,

<!-- and -->

mark the beginning and ending of comments in HTML and XHTML. They should not be used at the beginning and end of scripts or styles in XHTML because it technically means the scripts and styles should be treated as comments.

So, instead of this

<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {margin: 0}
-->
</style>

you would just have this

<style type="text/css">
body {margin: 0}
</style>

As far as uploading files with DW8 is concerned:

Create and configure a Dreamweaver site

Prepare your web server for file handling using a remote folder in Dreamweaver 8

Additional info can be found through DW's help menu where you can access the full text of various DW manuals. Check out the tutorial for "Getting Started with Dreamweaver". Excellent stuff!
G
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by G »

Thanks Cary that have fixed the download problem for IE, FF and Opera :)

I understand the CSE error message pertaining to 20% etc now that you have explained it clearly to me :)

I have the Dreamweaver Bible V8 by Wiley and I'm up to page 41.

Studying three degrees, e.g., maths, physics and psychology, besides being an IT technician and technical writer (see: http://www.backupencyclopedia.com/glossary/default.html) and working on and proof-reading the new 185 page or 181,000 worded version means that I have had to stop for the time being.

Is there any reason why I see this on my website now?

Registry Compactor V1.1">Registry Compactor V1.1

and

Ace Configuration Settings">Ace Configuration Settings

Besides the bit about <p align= etc

Using your example I have this as well. I don't seem to be able to get the code to post so I have added the addition only.

.zip">Ace Configuration Settings">Ace Configuration Settings</a>

and

.zip">Registry Compactor V1.1">Registry Compactor V1.1</a>

Thanks again for the explanation and insight.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I saw this on your page:

Code: Select all

Ace Configuration Settings">Ace Configuration Settings
and

Registry Compactor V1.1">Registry Compactor V1.1
I looked at the HTML source and it's displaying exactly what it should. You'll need to edit the text if you don't want it to display that... for example, change this:

<a href="http://www.software-discounts.co.uk/Registry%20Compactor%20V1.1.zip">Registry Compactor V1.1">Registry Compactor V1.1</a>
to this:

<a href="http://www.software-discounts.co.uk/Registry%20Compactor%20V1.1.zip">Registry Compactor V1.1</a>
Also, to get HTML to display in your posts, you can check the "Disable HTML in this post" option.

I hope this helps.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
G
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by G »

Thanks Albert.

From my site you can now see it works and the instructions have changed to reflect this.

Thanks for the help.

Also thanks for the heads up in regards to disabling HMTL :)