Error 80 With XHTML: No Suggestions

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Error 80 With XHTML: No Suggestions

Post by paulp575 »

Received the following error when checking an XHTML file:
[80] The following attributes may not be used with the "a" element in an XHTML 1.1 document: "name" and "target".
How could I code a link so when someone clicks on it they are taken to that URL in a new browser window?

Thanks,
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Error 80 With XHTML: No Suggestions

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I've updated this message to:
[80] The following attributes may not be used with the "a" element in an XHTML 1.1 document: "name" and "target". NOTE: There is no official substitute for the "target" attribute. If this functionality is required then consider using a document type that supports it. This message is displayed only once.

So you can't use "target" or similar functionality without having to do some type of hack (like with JavaScript) if you want official XHTML 1.1. You may want to change to transitional XHTML 1.0 or just ignore the issue.

This may help clarify further:
http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/s ... nt-world/1
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/9683.htm
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

I've updated this message to:
[80] The following attributes may not be used with the "a" element in an XHTML 1.1 document: "name" and "target". NOTE: There is no official substitute for the "target" attribute. If this functionality is required then consider using a document type that supports it. This message is displayed only once.
Hmmm, that may present a problem because I read - somewhere on Google's Maps web site, I think - that in order to use javascript-based Google Maps (so your map behaves just like the web-based Google Maps) you have to use XHTML. Not sure if v1.1 is necessary or I have to use the "strict" version. I'll have to experiment with v1.1 versus v1.0 strict versus v1.0 traditional.

I noticed the HTML Validator (version 9.03.02) shows only one type of version 1.1 - no strict or traditional or frameset. It lists all 3 variants for XHTML v1.0. Did they do away with those variants for v1.1?
So you can't use "target" or similar functionality without having to do some type of hack (like with JavaScript) if you want official XHTML 1.1. You may want to change to transitional XHTML 1.0 or just ignore the issue.
I'll have to experiment to see if the target attribute works in v1.1.

Thanks,
paulp575
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

I'll have to experiment to see if the target attribute works in v1.1.
Did some testing and the target attribute does work in XHTML v1.1 (using Firefox v3.0.1).

I guess I'll just have to ignore the warning!
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote:I noticed the HTML Validator (version 9.03.02) shows only one type of version 1.1 - no strict or traditional or frameset. It lists all 3 variants for XHTML v1.0. Did they do away with those variants for v1.1?
Basically, yes. This is what it says on Wikipedia:
XHTML 1.1 evolved out of the work surrounding the initial Modularization of XHTML specification. The W3C released a first draft in September 1999; Recommendation status was reached in May 2001.[32] The modules combined within XHTML 1.1 effectively recreate XHTML 1.0 Strict, with the addition of ruby annotation elements (ruby, rbc, rtc, rb, rt and rp) to better support East-Asian languages. Other changes include removal of the lang attribute (in favour of xml:lang), and removal of the name attribute from the a and map elements.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote:Did some testing and the target attribute does work in XHTML v1.1 (using Firefox v3.0.1).

I guess I'll just have to ignore the warning!
Yes, I'd expect it to work, it's just not official XHTML 1.1 so CSE HTML Validator generates that message... which you can disable if you just want to ignore it.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

Yes, I'd expect it to work, it's just not official XHTML 1.1 so CSE HTML Validator generates that message... which you can disable if you just want to ignore it.
I was reading the full text of error 80 and noticed it was not only for the target attribute, but a lot of other XHTML things so I'll just ignore that error.

Thanks for all you help with this,
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote:I was reading the full text of error 80 and noticed it was not only for the target attribute, but a lot of other XHTML things so I'll just ignore that error.
In the next major update, I've given this message (about "target" when "target" is used) a unique message ID so you can disable it separately from the related messages. Disabling it using flag 80 (instead of via the "message ID" way with Options for this Message->Disable Message) will still disable all of the flag 80 messages.

In v9.0, if you disable it (using the message ID function and not the flag) for an "a" element, then it should only be disabled for "a" elements for the doctype you are using.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

In v9.0, if you disable it (using the message ID function and not the flag) for an "a" element, then it should only be disabled for "a" elements for the doctype you are using.
That would be great to be able to turn off only this error.
"Using the message ID"??? Can you point me to where in HTML Validator this option is?

Thanks,
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote:That would be great to be able to turn off only this error.
"Using the message ID"??? Can you point me to where in HTML Validator this option is?

Thanks,
I'm sorry for the confusion. If you disable the message by right-clicking on it and choosing Options for this Message->Disable Message then it will use a message ID to disable the message. When the mouse is over the "Options for this Message" submenu, it should display the actual message ID in the status bar and the number for the message you are referring to should be 2007092002 when it's for an "a" tag. I hope this helps.