Firefox extension for CSE HTML Validator

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Firefox extension for CSE HTML Validator

Post by Albert Wiersch »

A free Firefox extension for CSE HTML Validator is now available. This extension lets you easily check pages from within Firefox.

It even works with the free lite edition of CSE HTML Validator.

UPDATE: Now works with Firefox 1.0, 1.5, AND 2.0. Firefox 3.0 is not supported.

For more information, please visit
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/firefoxext.php
Last edited by Albert Wiersch on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Bob
Rank I - Novice

WOW! It plays nicely with the HTML Tidy plug-in too!

Post by Bob »

Nice job!

As I just mentioned in another message, this will help to explain some of the more cryptic Tidy messages in language many more can understand.

CONGRATS!

I'm sure some of the CSE Lite version users will just LOVE this extension.

Thanks!
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thanks Bob!

By the way, the Firefox extension is now listed on mozilla.org!

Please feel free to review it. It would be great to have some reviews.
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... php?id=887
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
markblass
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by markblass »

Hi Albert,

I just installed the Firefox extension but get a message that "CSE HTML Validator engine appears not to be properly installed." It seems to be properly installed (since I use it). Could the issue be that Firefox and CSE HTML Validator reside on different hard drives?

Thanks and regards,

MB
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

markblass wrote:I just installed the Firefox extension but get a message that "CSE HTML Validator engine appears not to be properly installed." It seems to be properly installed (since I use it). Could the issue be that Firefox and CSE HTML Validator reside on different hard drives?
Unfortunately I did not write the extension so I do not know exactly how it determines that CSE is properly installed, but it should work if the file csevalidator.dll is in your Window's system directory. Can you verify if it is or not? If it is not, you can try reinstalling CSE HTML Validator with a user account that has priveleges to put files in that directory. It is possible that CSE HTML Validator was not installed using a user account that can do that and therefore the needed DLL for the Firefox extension was not installed.

Please let me know what happens.
markblass
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by markblass »

Albert,

The .dll file was missing, but reinstalling CSE HTML Validator fixed it.

Thanks for your quick response.

BR,

MB
sheltonn
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Lock up

Post by sheltonn »

Has anyone else seen it lock Firefox? I am running DP2 and it sometimes locks up the browser. I think the problem is either having multiple windows open or maybe just a really complex page.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Do you have the "Asynchronous (background) validation" option checked? If so, please try unchecking it and see if it has any effect.
CaryD
Rank II - Novice

Firefox 2.0 compatibility

Post by CaryD »

Right now this extension is designed to work with Firefox versions up to 1.6. Any chance this extension's compatibility can be extended to include Firefox 2 which is supposed to be released on the 24th?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Firefox 2.0 compatibility

Post by Albert Wiersch »

CaryD wrote:Right now this extension is designed to work with Firefox versions up to 1.6. Any chance this extension's compatibility can be extended to include Firefox 2 which is supposed to be released on the 24th?
Hello,

I will be looking into this. I didn't do the extension myself so I have to get in contact with the developer. The last time I emailed him I didn't get a response (maybe spam filter problems). :-(
brettkan
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: Firefox 2.0 compatibility

Post by brettkan »

CaryD wrote:Right now this extension is designed to work with Firefox versions up to 1.6. Any chance this extension's compatibility can be extended to include Firefox 2 which is supposed to be released on the 24th?
Cant tell you how much i am missing this "add-on" in Firefox 2.0 - 2.0 is great, but...
brettkan
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello all,

Please try the new version which should work with Firefox 2.0.
CaryD
Rank II - Novice

Post by CaryD »

Albert Wiersch wrote:Hello all,

Please try the new version which should work with Firefox 2.0.
Awesome! Just want to say thanks to you and Giorgio for this update. It's working great.