New user - TopStyle speed question

TopStyle has been discontinued and support is no longer available. The forum is read-only. NOTE: TopStyle was not developed by the makers of CSS HTML Validator.
djoseph05
Rank I - Novice

New user - TopStyle speed question

Post by djoseph05 »

Hello,

I purchased the TopStyle 4 program with the CSE HTML Validator just a few days ago, and it looks like a really wonderful program bundle. I am not even sure when or how to use the CSE yet, and I've only been working in TopStyle for now. I am figuring out all the screens, windows, options, etc. as I am working on a dated project.

(The project is a local WordPress site, using XAMPP; thus, as I am working in TopStyle, I also have the WordPress admin dashboard open.)

I am having a hard time trying to get the program to run smoothly, speed-wise. It takes over 10 seconds or so, each time I make one little change. And even when typing a line, or deleting a few characters, the results do not appear until many seconds later. (I am literally strumming my fingers while waiting for text to appear or disappear.)

I have Windows Vista 32, IE8, and AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4450e 2.30 GHz, 2gb ram, and a video card of NVidia GeForce 9500GT. I don't think it really has anything to do with TopStyle program performance, but I even changed the performance setting in my video card. (I haven't tried any other system settings yet.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing program speed, or know of any system settings that could make a difference? The lag in this program is significantly noticeable.

Thank you so much in advance,

djoseph05
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Re: New user - TopStyle speed question

Post by TopStyle Support »

Are you running McAfee virus scan? McAfee is notorious for slowing TopStyle down. Also, please make sure you're running the very latest TopStyle 4 build (currently 4.0.0.77)
djoseph05
Rank I - Novice

Post by djoseph05 »

No McAfee, I only use Norton 360. I just purchased the TopStyle about 3 days ago, and it is version 4.0.0.76.

(Did that .77 just come out in the past few days? Is there anything to do with speed in that recent revision? I will update if you think the 1 point would matter.)

I got it running a wee bit faster by disabling some things - but gosh, still need to improve this.

Thanks for your help.

djoseph05
eCommerce Hosting Reviews and eCommerce for WordPress Themes
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Stefan van As wrote:Are you running McAfee virus scan? McAfee is notorious for slowing TopStyle down. Also, please make sure you're running the very latest TopStyle 4 build (currently 4.0.0.77)
I just had a user report slow startup with CSE HTML Validator. Disabling the virus scanner for the CSE HTML Validator folder improved things. I believe I have experienced a similar slowdown when my AV software was enabled.

I don't know if that is the issue here, but I usually keep my virus scanner off unless I think I need it - like when installing new stuff. Keeps my performance up... but beware of the security implications if you disable your AV, even if it's just for a single folder.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Post by TopStyle Support »

Have you tried resetting your settings? Options > Reset Settings.
Lowiepete
Rank I - Novice

Post by Lowiepete »

I'm running Comodo Firewall/AV - does this have something to do with how slowly
the 900 files of my site take to appear in Topstyle's navigator, which can take up
to a minute to load at startup. That's the only speed issue I have.

Intel i7 / Win7 64 bit system
djoseph05
Rank I - Novice

Post by djoseph05 »

Stefan and Albert,

Thank you for your input and I do apologize for not replying sooner. My internet went down 3 days ago due to a bad cable modem, and I just got it back up tonight. Now it is flying.

Just before that, I changed a number of TopStyle program and system settings, and my problem is fixed now. It has been a while and I wish I could report what I changed exactly, but I can't remember now. One thing I do remember though was that I reinstalled Firefox, and I disabled some of the add-ons. I would like to re-enable the add-ons, but I do think they had something to do with hogging my resources. I'm going to add them back in one at a time and pay attention to my system performance.

Thank you again for your help.

djoseph
eCommerce Hosting Reviews and eCommerce for WordPress Themes
Lowiepete
Rank I - Novice

Post by Lowiepete »

djoseph05 wrote: One thing I do remember though was that I reinstalled Firefox, and I disabled some of the add-ons
There is a problem with Firefox - it has to do with the files downloaded list.
If you don't regularly clear it, the system will slow down dramatically.