Cannot get Box Spy to jump to element link.

TopStyle has been discontinued and support is no longer available. The forum is read-only. NOTE: TopStyle was not developed by the makers of CSS HTML Validator.
djoseph05
Rank I - Novice

Cannot get Box Spy to jump to element link.

Post by djoseph05 »

Hello,

For some reason I can't get Topstyle 4's Box Spy feature to work as expected.

"TopStyle's "Box Spy" provides a simple, effective way to see exactly how your CSS is affecting a specific HTML element. When Box Spy is enabled, moving the mouse over an HTML element in the embedded preview will exposes that element’s margins, padding and content box, and the element’s hierarchy will appear above the preview. Clicking an element in the hierarchy will move Box Spy to that element."

I hold CTRL-click to see the links to the elements, but when I click on them it does not take me to the element in the stylesheet. It doesn't go anywhere. I have Windows 7 64-bit and the latest TS version which I just installed. (I did very few if any changes to the setup, and I do not have Firebug mode on.)

Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help you can offer,

djoseph
eCommerce Hosting Reviews and eCommerce for WordPress Themes
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Cannot get Box Spy to jump to element link.

Post by TopStyle Support »

Hi djoseph,

The "hierarchy" is in the upper-left corner, underneath the toolbar and above the ruler.

When you hold down the CTRL key, then this hierarchy doesn't update while you move your mouse cursor away from the element. This allows you to move your mouse cursor to this hierarchy, and click any of the element(s) in the hierarchy (in this case, it allows you to click on img.logobutton, for example).
djoseph05
Rank I - Novice

Post by djoseph05 »

Stefan,

Thank you for your detailed answer, and confirming that for me. That's exactly what I do but for some reason it is not working. It has me puzzled, so I tested it out further. I fired up my desktop pc (Vista 32bit) and tried it on there. It has the same problem. However, neither machine doesn't seem to like it if the hyperlink is too long. I can get it to work at random, on both, which seems to be on shorter links (I think, but not positive).

I also found some articles about the IE versions (7 and \8) having problems with hyperlinks. I read an answer that said to make IE the default browser and reboot. I tried it, no change, and I don't want to go as far as to remove Firefox over it. (I think those answers both came from Microsoft Technet.)

Do you have any recommended (most stable) program settings in regards to browsers?

In the middle of testing on the laptop, a popup told me I had 30 Windows updates, so I did that hoping it might help but no change.

Are you familiar with iThemes? I bought their dev pkg that has a "Builder" layout feature in it. You select what you want as a layout in WP, and then it builds the styles so that you can modify them (in TS). The "builder" styles are very long, and I'm kind of wondering if it has something to do with the Builder.

If you are interested in seeing the styles, the site is at http://michaelflettmd.com/insurance-and ... t-options/ - (don't mind the mess - it's new).

I think this will take me a little time to figure out (if I ever do!), and I'll have more time to test on the weekend. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again,

djoseph
beastro
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by beastro »

I have the same problem. Has there been a solution?

Berthold
djoseph05
Rank I - Novice

Post by djoseph05 »

Hi Stefan, & Berthold,

I thought I'd get back here to update this post. I surmise that my problem, as best as I can describe it, is that the Builder module in iThemes somehow automatically creates various divs (and classes) for each layout that I make in WP, with (like) very long DIV IDs #123456789123456789. Topstyle sees these and shows their results in its Preview, but these divs are not necessarily in the css sheet that I'm working on; they are coming from another stylesheet in the builder module behind the scenes. It makes sense then why my cursor doesn't move to them - nowhere to move to if they aren't there.

Anyhow, I think I need to learn to target the Builder codes more effectively in Firebug, and then add them to the end of the css sheet. Sorry for the trouble, and just thought I'd let you know the answer.

Stefan, thank you for your support.

djoseph