Page validates-looks good in other browsers but not with IE7

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
davidl53
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Page validates-looks good in other browsers but not with IE7

Post by davidl53 »

My home page validates and looks good in IE6x, Opera 6-9beta, Mozilla, Safari, even in Netscape 4. However, using all versions of IE 7 through to beta 2, the top graphic is misplaced under a menu. (I use a table for the layout.)

It may be that you will want to identify problems with IE7 rendering and indicate that some layout mechanisms, although valid, and that work in (essentially all) other browsers will not work in IE7. What a pain!!

The page is http://www.safetylit.org
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

As a matter of interest how have you installed IE 7?

Separate machine or have you tried co-existence?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Yes, it would be great to identify IE 7 issues. I think it is too early to start working on that because I believe yet another BETA is still to come.

However, feel free to post any issues that you find with IE 7. If I can verify them and programmatically detect them, then I will add them to CSE HTML Validator.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
davidl53
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by davidl53 »

MikeGale wrote:As a matter of interest how have you installed IE 7?

Separate machine or have you tried co-existence?
I installed the recent beta 2 of IE7 on a test machine. There is no coexistance option with IE-6. From the MS IE7 developer forum I understand that the rendering code (html, xhtml, and css) is locked. There will likely be a few bug fixes in several other areas but not to the way pages will appear on screen. There has been a great deal of discussion about the rendering of css and page layout using tables on the developer forum and the MS staff make it clear that this is a done deal. Several key css hacks that were necessary to get pages to appear as desired in IE6 no longer work in IE7 but the css positioning errors persist.

I have tried and tried to identify the problem with my page (it concerns mispositioning of a graphic in a table cell) and I cannot get the page to work in IE7 and also properly display in other browsers. I hope that is not why these display issues are incorporated into the new browser.

I had been looking forward to IE7 because it seemed that it would help move RSS more into the mainstream. Now it seems as though IE7 is going to be real trouble.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Hi,

This confirms some suspicions I had about IE 7. I don't see any way they can release it if it will break existing pages, people just won't use it. Even if it's easy to return to IE 6, which I think it is, this could be the best thing that ever happened to Firefox!

There are ways to hack a co-existence with IE 6, it's not as easy as it was, and it's gotten harder with the latest release. Also the links were shifting around when I checked it, which made me uneasy. It didn't look like a good idea so I didn't. (I'm tired of fouling a machine so I'm in a bind here.)