So what's the time-table for phasing out IE4....

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

So what's the time-table for phasing out IE4....

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

Saw this today and just had to comment on it: :D
[601] The "overflow-x" and "overflow-y" CSS properties are not standard CSS1 or CSS2.1 properties (but are new CSS3 properties). However, most values for these properties are supported by Internet Explorer 4.0+ (may require a version later than 4.0 for greater/full support). Consider using the "overflow" property instead. This property is a standard CSS2.1+ property and is supported by more browsers.
---
(Styles) [605] The "overflow-*" properties are CSS3 properties but are not CSS1 or CSS2.1 properties. Some browsers may not support these properties or may have only partial support. This message is displayed only once.
---
I would think (hope?) that IE6 would be the minimum browser that anyone would code for these days.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: So what's the time-table for phasing out IE4....

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thanks! The message referring to IE4 is definitely an old message! CSE HTML Validator has been around awhile. :D

I will 'relegate' it to a legacy message as I don't see the helpfulness of it anymore. If you disagree with this, then please let me know.

As for the other message, I think I'll add this to it: NOTE: The "overflow" property is a standard CSS2.1+ property. Consider using it if maximum compatibility with older browsers is important. This message is displayed only once.

Of course, a developer can always disable a message if it's not helpful to them... either a specific message or, in the case above, by disabling flag 605 to disable that message and other similar messages.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Legacy? Is that a fancy name for "retired".... it won't appear any more? :D

I agree. I like the second part with the addition of your edit. I don't see much useful in the first part.

I would think you'd have easy ways to search for more IE4/5 content....
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:Legacy? Is that a fancy name for "retired".... it won't appear any more? :D
It shouldn't, unless you enable 'legacy' messages by unchecking flag 114. I doubt anyone uses them but most of them are still in the code. I could probably yank them out and no one would notice. :D
RSteinwand wrote:I agree. I like the second part with the addition of your edit. I don't see much useful in the first part.
That's good.
RSteinwand wrote:I would think you'd have easy ways to search for more IE4/5 content....
Yes, I'll try a quick text search of the code for IE4 and IE5 to see if I missed changing those messages to 'legacy'.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Thanks.
Rick