too many redirections

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
moganero
Rank II - Novice

too many redirections

Post by moganero »

Batch wizard is giving me the following message when it checks a link in http://www.square-sun.net/?page_id=54. The target site is another of my websites.
20 redirections (too many): "http://www.landforsalestaffordshire.co.uk/index.php" (302 - moved temporarily),
The page http://www.landforsalestaffordshire.co.uk/ is OK when viewed in a browser, with no noticeable delay, however it has some cookie handling javascript that appears when a visitor has not been on the site before - could this cause this to happen?

Additionally, using batch wizard on the target site throws a lot of internal server error messages, which are not reflected in a browser.
Batch wizard settings are for
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: too many redirections

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

The Batch Wizard does not support or run JavaScript, which could be an issue if a website requires it (like to set cookies).

Recent versions of the Batch Wizard do support cookies. If you're using an older version of CSE HTML Validator that doesn't support cookies then that could be a cause as well. What version of CSE HTML Validator are you using?

I don't know what internal server error messages you are getting on the target site, but you probably shouldn't be getting them. It sounds like a website coding or configuration problem, perhaps only made evident when the Batch Wizard is used (perhaps due to it not having JavaScript).

I would need to know more details to help further.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

i'm using 14.04, which AFAIK is the latest version. I'll try removing the Javascript and see if that makes any difference.
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

Tried removing the JS/cookies code - has no effect on the internal server errors, but the "too may redirects" is no longer happening with or without it.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

You may want to try slowing the Batch Wizard down. Sometimes it might go too fast for the server and this may be causing the internal server errors. The easiest way is to increase the "wait time before each URL request" in the Limits page of the Batch Wizard Options. You might want to try a value of 1000 milliseconds for one second.

You can also slow down the link checker if that might be part of the issue. Those options are in the Validator Engine Options, Link Checking page. You can increase the time between checks and/or limit the maximum number of simultaneous link checks.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

I set "wait time before each URL request" to 1000 and increased the time between checks to 500ms (then 1000ms) and reduced the number of simultaneous link checks to 10 (then 5) and it still gives the same result.
I noticed an empty .htaccess file in some (but not all) directories - not sure why they should be there, could they be a problem do you think?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I don't think empty .htaccess files would be a problem, but I'm not sure.

If you are still getting internal server errors, then I would try to get more details from the server logs as to exactly what's happening. What is the server error log saying about these errors? Hopefully there is more information there.
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

I'm getting a lot of errors like this in the log:

Code: Select all

[Fri Aug 01 16:15:02 2014] [error] [client 88.97.30.31] client denied by server configuration: /home/landstaf/public_html/land-for-sale/moss-lane-madeley/documents/.htaccess, referer: http://landforsalestaffordshire.co.uk/land-for-sale/moss-lane-madeley/documents/
These are also generated by a browser. The htaccess files in question just set fancy indexing. Not sure if this is the problem - I'll have to do some more testing.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

OK, thanks. Please let us know what you find out. If there is an issue with CSE HTML Validator then I will definitely try to address it, but it looks like its a server configuration issue.