TopStyle 5.0 Freezes - (Not Responding)

TopStyle has been discontinued and support is no longer available. The forum is read-only. NOTE: TopStyle was not developed by the makers of CSS HTML Validator.
__jb
Rank 0 - Newcomer

TopStyle 5.0 Freezes - (Not Responding)

Post by __jb »

Upgraded from TopStyle 4 to TopStyle 5.0... First thing I noticed was TopStyle freezes while working on my main web site... (Not Responding) shows up in the TopStyle title bar... I can not type in any characters... If I press an arrow key, the screen seems to get a white overlay...

It takes 20 to 30 seconds for things to "sync" up and then I can type again... Then I get the freeze again... or maybe not... I can't tell exactly what causes the freeze... TopStyle 4.0 NEVER did this... same exact page...

I changed the preview screen to Chrome as you suggested in another bug-report thread here on the forum... I don't use Chrome, but the preview still seems to work... apparently TopStyle contains some sort of Chrome in it? Anyway it did not stop my freezing problem.

The page I mostly work on has 2,300 lines of HTML in it... Large, but the same size that I used successfully on TopStyle 4.0 for years... I am currently using TopStyle 5.0 version 93 (Registered) and continue to have trouble... freezing...

If I had to guess, I would say that TopStyle is now trying to cache some version of my HTML page... or maybe it is searching for some kind of info... The single line of HTML tags below the main window seems new to me... Maybe TopStyle is continually parsing the text to complete this line of tags... What is this line of tags called? Can I turn it off?

My System Info:
Intel Core I7 960
6gb Memory
128gb SSD for system
Windows 7 sp1
TopStyle 5.0.0.93

-john
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Re: TopStyle 5.0 Freezes - (Not Responding)

Post by TopStyle Support »

Hi John,

Here are a few things you can try:
1. Turn OFF the Output/Preview Panel (View > Panels > Output Panel)
2. Turn OFF the HTML Structure Panel (View > Show HTML Structure Panel)

Can you send me your HTML document, please? I would love to reproduce and fix this.

support AT topstyle4 DOT com

Thanks!
__jb
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by __jb »

Thanks for the quick reply... Turning off "Show HTML Structure Panel" did the trick... I noticed that the string of HTML tags in the Structure Panel occasionally exceeds the length of the screen...

I had already turned off the Output panel, but that did not help... After I turned off the HTML Structure Panel, I turned the Output Panel back on and it did not freeze. It worked fine.

After working for a while with the Output Panel turned back on, I turned the HTML Structure Panel back on again... Instead of constantly trying to refresh the HTML tags, TopStyle displayed a small "Refresh" image at the front of the line/panel where the HTML tags normally displayed... First time I noticed that... Pressing the "Refresh" image regenerated the HTML tag structure... After a while, it got corrupted again and the "Refresh" image stopped appearing... Then it started freezing again... Then the (Not Responding) popped back up again...

Seems like it might be an array or linked list that doesn't have enough room for the quantity of tags that form the structure... I dunno... That would be my guess for a place to look...

It might be nice to have an "Only populate HTML Structure when the 'Refresh' image is pressed" option... People probably wouldn't look at the structure while they are building pages... When they want to see it, they can press the button... I can see why it would be a cool feature... Something like checking your curly brace blocks in C++...

Thanks for the help...
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Hi John,

Can you send me your HTML document, please? I would love to reproduce and fix this.

support AT topstyle4 DOT com

Thanks!
wwwcre8r
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by wwwcre8r »

I've submitted this bug numerous times, also via email with no response.

I have one issue that I desperately need help with, I often work on sites via FTP/ SFTP and when editing code containing a reference to CSS, like a class or id, TopStyle will reach out to the remote server (I’m guessing) and retrieve the list of possible classes or ids that could be used.

This round-trip communication can take a very long time, upwards of 10 seconds or so for large CSS files. As you could imagine this is very frustrating to have to pause typing code to wait for this to happen every few minutes/ seconds depending on what I’m editing.
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Hi John,
I've submitted this bug numerous times, also via email with no response.
I have not received your HTML document. Can you use this alternative e-mail address, please? topstyle4 AT gmail DOT com
I have one issue that I desperately need help with, I often work on sites via FTP/ SFTP and when editing code containing a reference to CSS, like a class or id, TopStyle will reach out to the remote server (I’m guessing) and retrieve the list of possible classes or ids that could be used.
Please disable this setting: Options (F8) > Inspector > "Include CSS classes from remote (FTP and SFTP) documents"

Thanks!
wwwcre8r
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by wwwcre8r »

This does work. Note though that there is a new issue where the application reverts back to the default setting on this every few days (randomly). I only notice it when I see that it is "locking up" when trying to do remote FTP edits.

Can you please make the default action UNCHECKED?
DavieD
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by DavieD »

wwwcre8r wrote:This does work. Note though that there is a new issue where the application reverts back to the default setting on this every few days (randomly). I only noticed the zcode system recently when I saw that it was "locking up" when trying to do remote FTP edits.
Can you please make the default action UNCHECKED?
The same thing is happening for me wwwcre8r. So yes it would be helpful if we could make it default unchecked..
Last edited by DavieD on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
tconlon3
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by tconlon3 »

Topstyle 5 has become unworkable for me. It has always had severe problems crashing, but I have put up with it. I love the features and capability – really well done – but the continuous crashing is just making the product useless. I am a legal owner. I have loaded topstyle5 on several computers I have had through the years running windows 7 and windows 8.1. The crashing problem just continues to get worse.

Now it won’t run at all.

I have uninstalled it.

Run windows registry cleaner

Restarted my computer

Re-installed your latest version, downloaded from your site and making sure no other copies existed first, added my License Key - also tried it unregistered - crashing is the same.

I have no idea which version it is as the program crashes before I can even check. The error is always the same - "Not Responding"

Nothing works. One click on anything on the top style screen and the program locks up solid.

I cant even imagine how I could do anything to make it run any better as it locks up solid on the very first click of anything, so how could I change anything or do anything any differently? Everything else on my computer runs just fine.

Is this it for Top style? Am I wasting my time trying to get this thing to run again?

Tom Conlon
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello Tom,

I support CSE HTML Validator (not TopStyle) but it similar issues with CSE HTML Validator (like not starting) have been caused by ant-malware programs. Here is a list of programs that have been known to cause problems:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1191#p5309
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
ppointi
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by ppointi »

Working with TopStyle 5 is really frustrating. My - registered - version freezes after short time working with. I try to overcome this problem with saving my work always after some few programming steps. If I forget, Top style freezes and I loose my work....
I am very disappointed about this very unstable performance of this software - and it destroys the good impression of the structure of TopStyle.
RoyReed
Rank I - Novice

Post by RoyReed »

Do you have the Output > Preview window open? This seems to cause a lot of the freeze problems, especially if IE is used as the internal browser. Using Chrome seems a bit better, but it often seems to steal focus from the Edit window.
ppointi
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by ppointi »

@RoyReed: Yes, I always work with the Preview window open using Chrome as standard. I will try now to close this Preview window while working and will give a report later on.
mpotts95420
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by mpotts95420 »

I am reluctantly abandoning TopStyle 5, as a registered user. I love(d) it. It made my work flow so smoothly ... and then it started crashing crashing crashing. I looked on the forum, turned off everything that was suspected of causing problems. I always use Chrome, never use the built in browser, suppress the output frame whenever it appears.
NOW I can't get the program to run for even a couple of minutes do do some of its best tricks. I pasted in a nice clean bullet list in order to use the "convert to unordered list" trick ... and it immediately froze.
Nothing else is as good. I'm getting from others that deleting and reinstalling won't help. I'm running Win7 64 on a very robust system; nothing else crashes much. I'm desperate, and desperately disappointed. PLEASE work with me to get TS5 running right again!
ppointi
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by ppointi »

Report #1: I made changes in a html-file with preview windows closed, saved the file and tried than to check the changes with the Chrome preview: This procedure worked several times - but just today it was getting cold again: TopStyle froze...