TopStyle 5.0 Freezes - (Not Responding)

TopStyle has been discontinued and support is no longer available. The forum is read-only. NOTE: TopStyle was not developed by the makers of CSS HTML Validator.
Ratai
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: TopStyle 5.0 Freezes - (Not Responding)

Post by Ratai »

Hi!
I think it have something to do with Windows updates, OR latest version of TopStyle. I never had any problems with it, and as far I can check I was using it since 2007 (ver 3). Starting from XP, via windows 7 and now 8. I remember correctly that even on Windows 8 everything was fine few months ago. But new install is as unstable as it's possible. It freezes a lot, even when its just stay idle in background - after focus it's just dead. I will be looking for some steps to repeat, but for now is unusable. There is some serious problem here.
ppointi
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by ppointi »

Report #2: Just happened: Preview closed, two html files open and saved, made one change in one file --- and TopStyle froze.
icc
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by icc »

I got freeze on TopStyle 5.0.0.104 Trial (Not Responding)
ppointi
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by ppointi »

Final report: I lost my patience. Now I will shut down TopStyle 5 and never use again this software. It´s really a pity: 80 $ for the waste basket.
chucktr
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by chucktr »

Has there been a fix for this yet?? I am getting occasional freezes while operating TopStyle5 in Windows 10.
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Post by TopStyle Support »

I am sorry you are having this problem. Here is something you can try.

If you can start TopStyle, then click on this: Options > Reset Settings.

If you cannot start TopStyle, then please delete this registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bradbury\TopStyle

If this doesn’t work, then please follow these steps:
1. Uninstall TopStyle
2. Delete this directory: C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Bradsoft.com\TopStyle\5.0
3. Re-install TopStyle
4. Download the latest hot-fix here: https://www.htmlvalidator.com/topstyle/

I am investigating the problem with Windows 10. Chrome running inside the preview pane might be responsible. Please close the preview pane (Ctrl+D) and try again. Thanks!
chucktr
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by chucktr »

Just for feedback... I can open and use TopStyle 5. It just freezes on occasion when I am editing. I will try to pay closer attention to it when it fails -but- it seems like when I switch screens fastly. I was running in a VMware Vitrual Windows 7 which I updated to Windows10. TopStyle was already installed in Windows 7. I do not use the preview pane -and- I do NOT use Chrome so I don't believe it to be a problem. I will try the Settings Reset to see what that does.

Oh I also updated VMware from ver 10 to 12.

I dislike Uninstalling and Re-Installing programs to fix problems. Can I try that "hot-fix" without doing that?

By the by... I have TopStyle 5 installed on my Laptop which also had Windows 7 updated to Windows 10 and this was at the top level and NOT a Virtual. I can not remember it freezing but I am trying it now to prove one way or the other. Will let you know.
Thanks
-Chuck
P.S. My son just got out of the hospital after a really bad motorcycle accident, So things may be a little more delayed than I usually am. However, I will get back to you.

September 11th, 2016 - I said that I would get back to you and here it is; The one on my Laptop locked up also. I have some "Snippets" that I brought over from my "Homesite". I was putting in a reference to another site. My snippet for this is:

.onelinerBox /* a class */
{
border: 1px solid #AF9371;
color: #996633; /* Text color */
padding-bottom: 0px;
}

<span class="onelinerBox">&nbsp;<a href="#top_ref" onclick="target='_blank';"></a> </span>&nbsp;

I was editing an HTML file with:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

at the top. I clicked on the "href" portion of the snippet and got the tag inspector to show. I then clicked on the href in the tag and got it hi-lited and it showed the "#top_ref" which I hi-lited and did a Ctl-V which placed in an address that I had hi-lited in my Browser(Firefox) externally. I then clicked on one of the other items, randomly, in the "tag inspector" so that it would accept my Ctl-V value that I just placed there. I moved my mouse back to the document and that is when it went hazy and locked up with a small spinning circle for the cursor. It stay that way and now as I am typing this up it has unlocked itself and I can continue.

Hopefully, this will help. If not please ask and I will try other things to narrow down the problem.
-Chuck
P.S. --- I still use "Homesite".... a lot. It was/is the best HTML editor around. I use VMware in my Linux just so I can use your products for my WebPages. Thanks for all the good work. By the way, Homesite works in Windows 10. Only problem I have is; even though I close and dismiss a file, it reopens them when I reopen Homesite. Where is this information kept??