Windows 10 Edge browser bugs and Windows 10

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 Edge browser bugs and Windows 10

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:This would be a good place to start: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... rm/issues/ :D
Thanks. I'm impressed. It was easier than I thought to report it. Usually Microsoft makes things difficult and I run into various issues.

Anyway, here is a link to the reported issue:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... s/7122118/

By the way, I have posted about this as a comment to ads for Edge I've seen on Facebook, but I suspected they ignored them.

Also, I discovered Edge has an option to 'Send feedback' and report the page you are on if it has an issue. That's nice. I will do that as well.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Cool! Maybe they'll fix it in 2020....
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:Cool! Maybe they'll fix it in 2020....
I'll settle for 2018. The real interesting part will be seeing how they handle it and if they even do anything about it. I don't think they turn out bug fixes within a few days or less like I often do. :D
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

I know the picture element took about a year.

You should see all the bugs I created and fixed in the last 2 days. :mrgreen:
Rick
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

They've apparently ramped up the attention to Edge bugs. They even have a new reporting URL since yesterday, when I first checked!

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... rm/issues/ which is, I think, the one that you used.

I added a me-too to the bug.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Wow... still not fixed in Microsoft EdgeHTML 14.14393.

And on another interesting note, I chose the option in Edge's menu to 'Send Feedback' to report this issue again and it opens a new 'Feedback Hub' window and just sits there and spins forever. I guess they really don't want feedback. :)

UPDATE: It's the next morning so after waiting overnight plus several hours I think I'll go ahead and close the window as it's still spinning.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

M$ wants people to drop everything including IE and Chrome and move to Edge,when Edge can't be tweaked much and has bugs as nasty as IE.

I'm not falling for it.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that it's been over 2 years and this Microsoft Edge bug still isn't fixed yet. :D

UPDATE: Reported this bug to them again on 2017-12-27.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

You know what they say about the "Squeaky Wheel".... :roll:
Rick
Demille
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Demille »

RSrteinwand wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:08 am You know what they say about phen24 the "Squeaky Wheel".... :roll:
That's MS for you. Honestly, I'm surprised they didnt create even more bugs during this time.
Last edited by Demille on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that this bug is still not fixed.

Also see this topic about a new Microsoft "warning" about Chrome and Firefox.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Checked again in Edge 16.16299 and no surprise that this bug is still not fixed after over 3 years.

I'm guessing it will finally be fixed when Microsoft switches over to Chromium:
Edge dies a death of a thousand cuts as Microsoft switches to Chromium
As reported earlier this week, Microsoft is going to use Google's Blink rendering engine and V8 JavaScript engine in its Edge browser, largely ending development of its own EdgeHTML rendering engine and Chakra JavaScript engine. This means that Microsoft will be using code from—and making contributions to—the Chromium open source project.

The company's browser will still be named Edge and should retain the current look and feel. The decision to switch was motivated primarily by compatibility problems: Web developers increasingly test their pages exclusively in Chrome, which has put Edge at a significant disadvantage. Microsoft's engineers have found that problematic pages could often be made Edge compatible with only very minor alterations, but because Web devs aren't using Edge at all, they don't even know that they need to change anything.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:23 pm Cool! Maybe they'll fix it in 2020....
You posted that back in April of 2016.... and I think you were right!

It's been awhile and I just tested again and it looks like it's fixed in Edge/18.18362... and it's 2020! Apparently this version of the Edge browser is "Microsoft Edge version 44 with EdgeHTML 18".

I was thinking it was going to have to wait until the new Chromium based Edge browser but it looks like they fixed it before then.

So I suppose you could say it took Microsoft almost 5 years to fix it. Of course Internet Explorer is still broken but that's not surprising.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I just checked in two versions of Edge. The original and a "Canary Build" of the Chromium version.

I can confirm that it works in both. Those are versions 44... and 82...