SOLVED problem upgrading to Version 5.0.0.108

TopStyle has been discontinued and support is no longer available. The forum is read-only. NOTE: TopStyle was not developed by the makers of CSS HTML Validator.
giles
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by giles »

Hi,
Long time user of an older version of TopStyle. Thought it was about time to upgrade but am having an issue installing the hotfix moving from Version 5.0.0.104 to Version 5.0.0.108.
I follow the instructions on the https://www.htmlvalidator.com/topstyle/ page, but I never get the Command Prompt request to overwite TopStyle5.exe so I appear to end up with version 5.0.0.104 installed and no way of upgrading to 5.0.0.108.

Any thoughts?
Regards
Giles
Last edited by giles on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: problem upgrading to Version 5.0.0.108

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

You may want to temporarily disable any anti-virus or anti-malware program(s) you are running. Sometimes these can interfere and cause problems.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
giles
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by giles »

Thanks Albert, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can I just confirm that it is the whole string

Code: Select all

"%userprofile%\desktop\TopStyle5.exe" "%programfiles(x86)%\TopStyle 5"
including "", that you paste in to the Command Prompt in a single line?

Is there anyway of installing the version 5.0.0.108 upgrade on an installed version 5.0.0.104 or does it all have to happen at one time?

Many thanks for your help.
Regards
Giles
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

It looks like you're missing the "copy" part:

Code: Select all

copy "%userprofile%\desktop\TopStyle5.exe" "%programfiles(x86)%\TopStyle 5"
The hotfix is just meant to replace and update the main program executable from a previous TopStyle 5 full installation. It doesn't have to be done at any particular time, but until you do it then you're not using the latest version.

Note that I am the developer of CSE HTML Validator. I don't typically support TopStyle but I thought I could be helpful in this case, so I hope I was. :)
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
giles
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by giles »

Thanks Albert,
Yes I understand that TopStyle isn't supported and that anyone helping is doing so to help and it is much appreciated. The string of code is one I copied directly from the TopStyle page on the CSE HTML Validator web site and I just wanted to make sure it was correct before I pursued it further.
Sadly that doesn't seem to make any difference.
Ahh well back to the drawing board.
Best regards
Giles
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Strange... can you post a screenshot of what the command prompt shows after you enter the copy command?
giles
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by giles »

Hi Albert,
If you look at the instructions on the html validator site https://www.htmlvalidator.com/topstyle/ it just has the single line of code.

If you follow thos instructions but add "copy" as you suggested nothing happens in the Command prompt other than it launches the install for TopStyle. Nothing else happens at all.

The way it is explained on the page is that you copy the whole line of instructions and a request, to allow the update, will appear. Whether using copy or not nothing else happens in the command prompt.

Currently the code given opens the install exe and then is meant to copy the additional files. It does the first thing but not the second. Is there a single line of code that would take additional files and copy them to an existing install?

Giles
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Giles,

I tested it and it works for me. Please see the below screenshot for my 64-bit system (Windows 10). I think you must be doing something wrong. The commands should not launch TopStyle. Note that there is only one file that needs to be copied over the old file - TopStyle5.exe.

giles
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by giles »

Thanks Albert
Just so I am absolutely correct, at which point do you install TopStyle 5 after you have copied the fix file and before you delete the .exe file?
Giles
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Giles,

You should install TopStyle 5 first (the full/complete install) and then follow the hotfix procedure to update the executable.
giles
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by giles »

Hi Albert that leaves me in a peculiar loop, with the installer restarting every time I try to open the software and a message saying that I need to close some of the files that are open, but even using "auto close" choice it just keeps repeating the full run of an install.

Sadly, while I love this software I am going to call it a day.
Many thanks for all your assistance sorry I failed in getting it up an running.

Best regards
giles
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

Sorry to hear that. If you'd like to contact the TopStyle developer via email then please send me a private message and I'll send you their email address. They should be able to offer more assistance with TopStyle than I can.
RoyReed
Rank I - Novice

Post by RoyReed »

Have you tried manually replacing the TopStyle.exe file? That's all the install program is doing. Try renaming the existing TopStyle.exe to TopStyle.old (just as a backup) and then copy the new version into the same folder. If you get a system message saying that program is still running, open Task Manager and make sure any instances of TS are closed from there.
giles
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by giles »

LOL Roy thank you so much. Sorted and I am now running a prisitne version of TopStyle v 5.0.0.108.

Off to finish the upgrade with a ppurchase of my new license.
Giles
mclennan
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: SOLVED problem upgrading to Version 5.0.0.108

Post by mclennan »

On my Win10 (64b) I tried all of the steps in this thread to no avail, it would just not work.
For one my Topstyle5 installs to - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bradbury\TopStyle 5 - not my choice, it was there on my previous Win7 machine as well.
I tried adding the extra "\Bradbury" thus - copy "%userprofile%\desktop\TopStyle5.exe" "%programfiles(x86)%\Bradbury\TopStyle 5", that did not work either.

So in - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bradbury\TopStyle 5 - I renamed - TopStyle5.exe - to TopStyle5.old
Un-zipped the 5.0.0.108 hotfix file into - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bradbury\TopStyle 5 - replacing TopStyle5.exe
With Explorer I right clicked the new TopStyle5.exe and selected "Run as administrator", it worked straight away, no command line fiddling.
It worked for me, just a different method, and possibly easier for my mind. Hope it helps others.

Mike.