[ANSWERED] Version 22.0220 Reports Error; Can't Find Error

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

[ANSWERED] Version 22.0220 Reports Error; Can't Find Error

Post by paulp575 »

Using version 22.0220 and when I do a check using F6 it's report an error on line 350:
The <table> element must have an end tag (</table>) but the end tag was not found, is misplaced, misspelled, or was not seen due to other errors.
Line 350 shows it's there.

Then it reports on line 16704:
The end tag for <table> (started in line 350, column 20) should appear before this </td> end tag or this end tag should be deleted or moved. This is a nesting error.
Line 16704 shows it's there.

I've spent the last couple hours searching for a nesting error without success.

Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by paulp575 on Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Version 22.0220 Reports Error; Can't Find Error

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I took a quick look but this is going to take a bit longer to investigate. I'll work on this tomorrow (Friday). Thanks.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

Yes, It's long.
No rush.
if you need to check it from the online copy, here's the link: http://www.dog-walker.org/trains-modern.htm
paulp575
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

I thought maybe the "Structure" tab would help by copying and pasting into an ASCII text document and slowly start by eliminating items inside rows and tables until I found the mismatch.

Nope; "Structure" can't be copies and pasted.

Maybe a future update to allow copying and pasting the structure?
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:30 am I thought maybe the "Structure" tab would help by copying and pasting into an ASCII text document and slowly start by eliminating items inside rows and tables until I found the mismatch.

Nope; "Structure" can't be copies and pasted.

Maybe a future update to allow copying and pasting the structure?
You can copy and paste it but it's a little tricky because clicking in the Structure window usually places focus in the main editor (unless you click on a line for an implied tag), but you can right-click and choose 'Select All' then right-click and choose 'Copy'.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Well, I stayed up late and worked on this. :D

First, investigating this lead me to a bug that let some invalid elements get used in <th> (like <article> and <section>), so that should be fixed in the next update.

Second, all you should have to do is add another </table> tag. It looks like there is a </table> tag there already, but there's another table that needs to be ended as well (2 tables each needing a </table>).

So after doing that and changing all the <th> elements to <td> (because <article> and <section> is not valid in <th>), it now validates in CSS HTML Validator and at https://validator.w3.org/nu/ . Of course you may not want to do this (changing all <th>s to <td>s but I just did it for testing/validation purposes).
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

I would that that it doesn't matter if there are <th> or <td> as long as each has a closing tag.

Now the question is where should that missing </table> tag go?
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:49 am I would that that it doesn't matter if there are <th> or <td> as long as each has a closing tag.

Now the question is where should that missing </table> tag go?
Placing it right after the already-existing </table> tag on line 16703 does the trick.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

Okay, that took care of the problem.
But to me that indicates there's something else wrong with the file structure - i.e., having 2 </table> tags next to each other. Seems as though there should be a end cell and end row between those 2 tags.
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:58 pm Okay, that took care of the problem.
But to me that indicates there's something else wrong with the file structure - i.e., having 2 </table> tags next to each other. Seems as though there should be a end cell and end row between those 2 tags.
If you look at the structure, the end table tags implicitly end elements like <tbody>, <th>, <td>, and <tr>.

In your case, instead of </table></table> on line 16703, you could add some explicit end tags using </tbody></table></th></tr></tbody></table> or just </table></th></tr></table> (if you leave out the </tbody> tags).
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

Found the problem!

If you search the file for Route 66 you'll see a missing </th>, </tr>, and </table> tags as the closing for that table.

So the next update will remove <article> and <section> tags from within a table? If so, then I guess I'm back to using the <div> or <p> tags.
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:34 pm Found the problem!

If you search the file for Route 66 you'll see a missing </th>, </tr>, and </table> tags as the closing for that table.
Great! I think I see what you are referring to.
paulp575 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:34 pmSo the next update will remove <article> and <section> tags from within a table? If so, then I guess I'm back to using the <div> or <p> tags.
Only if it is in a <th> (table header) element. It's OK in <td>.

The HTML5 specification says for <th> that <th> can contain: Flow content, but with no header, footer, sectioning content, or heading content descendants.

Here is more information about <th>:
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/ ... th-element

A <td> element does not have the "no header, footer, sectioning content, or heading content descendants" limitation.

I hope this helps!
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

Did you notice the missing tags were contained in a comment section surrounded by <!-- and --> tags?

Maybe figure out a way to check for those tags within comments? Otherwise it could drive a web designer crazy! It did me until I found it.
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

No, I do not see the missing tags in a comment section. I searched for 'Route 66' and found it on line 12856. I saw the <table> tag on line 12860. I scrolled down a little and saw some commented out HTML. From the indentation, it looks like the end tags should go on line 12893 but I am not familiar with your table. It's way too big for my human brain. :D

Unfortunately I am not sure how CSS HTML Validator could generate better error messages about issues like this.

If you ever have time then I think you should find a way to remove the table. Tables are really only for tabular data... but it seems like it would be a lot of work unless you could automate it somehow. It's also a very large web page so if you ever re-design it then breaking it up into smaller pages might be a good idea too.

I did like my electric train as a kid in the 80s though! I would go to the local mall and buy a lot of accessories for it at the little toy store there... but the mall and toy store are long gone now.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

I appreciate your comments on eliminating the tables, but not sure what to replace them with.
Unfortunately there's plenty about HTML - especially HTML5 - that I don't understand so I use what I'm familiar with.
As long as it passes checking by HTML Validator, I'm satisfied it will display fine.

As for model trains, I used to have some between 1956 and 1966 but after leaving home for the USAF I eventually sold them.
I got started back into them in 2009 when Lionel was licensed to issue some items honoring BSA's 100th anniversary. And then like some other hobbies, it blossomed into a major hobby.
paulp575