[ANSWERED] HTML Validator 2023 (v23.00) and Windows 7

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

[ANSWERED] HTML Validator 2023 (v23.00) and Windows 7

Post by paulp575 »

Yes, I know I should upgrade to Win 10, but not quite ready due to some software (non-OS) compatibility issues.

Question - and this may be a bit early to ask - what kind of compatibility issues is anyone encountering when using version 23 with Windows 7.

Thanks.
Last edited by paulp575 on Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: HTML Validator 2023 (v23.00) and Windows 7

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I have not tested CSS HTML Validator 2023 on my old Windows 7 notebook that's still around but I suspect it should work except for perhaps JavaScript checking... and you could likely get that to work (if you want/need it) by downgrading/replacing the version of node.exe that comes with the program.

I will update my response if I manage to get around to trying to run it on Windows 7. :D

In my opinion, Windows 7 was a great OS... but it's time to move on to Windows 10. I do not like Windows 11, mostly because there is no more vertical taskbar support and I use that on almost all of my computers. It makes a lot more sense to take up a little vertical room than more valuable and useful (at least to me) horizontal room across the bottom of the screen... but Windows 10 is definitely a good Windows 7 replacement.

Windows 11 takes too many features away that Windows 10 had. I'm hoping they will eventually "fix" Windows 11 or release Windows 12 that brings back the good/important stuff that they took away.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

Appreciate the response and your willingness to test on Win 7. I will install it and post what - if any - problems I have.
I don't think I do JavaScript checking so it may not b a problem.

I do plan on upgrading to Win 10 in the near future (there's a couple programs that I use extensively and they aren't upgraded for use with Win 10 yet, but the developers are working on that). They are freeware programs so it takes time for those developers to upgrade.
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:22 pm Appreciate the response and your willingness to test on Win 7. I will install it and post what - if any - problems I have.
Thanks! Looking forward to your report.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Were you able to try CSS HTML Validator 2023 in Windows 7 yet?

Today I fired up an old notebook computer I had and tried it. I got the expected notice that the program was designed for Windows 10/11 and there could be issues running it on older operating systems but (as expected) the program seemed to work fine from some limited testing.

Even some quick JavaScript linting worked (perhaps they restored the Windows 7 compatibility to the version of Node.js used in 2023/v23). This was a little surprising but definitely good news for older operating system support.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

So far I haven't found any problems - although I don't use JavaScript linting (I don't even know what that is!).
I use this on my personal website and another non-profit website I maintain.
Don't want to make either - especially the non-profit's website - too complicated.
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:17 pm So far I haven't found any problems - although I don't use JavaScript linting (I don't even know what that is!).
I use this on my personal website and another non-profit website I maintain.
Don't want to make either - especially the non-profit's website - too complicated.
Thank you. That is good to hear. :)