Why Validate Your Web Pages?
There are many reasons to write valid HTML & CSS, and to check for broken links. Here are some of them:
- SEARCH ENGINES. If you want your website listed on search engines (and who doesn't?) then make sure that it doesn't contain broken links, broken redirects, bad grammar, or misspelled words.
Broken links (404 errors), broken redirects, misspelled words, or bad grammar can reduce a website's quality score and thus its search engine ranking. Reduced search engine rankings can significantly reduce the amount of traffic a website receives from search engines.
CSS HTML Validator can increase your website's quality score by helping you find and fix broken links, broken redirects, and misspelled words.
- ACCESSIBILITY. Validating with CSS HTML Validator helps you make your website more accessible, especially if you turn on accessibility checking. Compliance with accessibility standards (like WCAG 2.1) and accessibility requirements is more important than ever, especially for government websites and businesses.
- SEARCH ENGINES (again). Some search engines cannot properly crawl and index a website that has serious HTML errors. Validating your website's HTML will help you find and correct these significant and harmful HTML errors.
Also, make sure your website is optimized for search engines using white hat methods (as opposed to black hat methods which may get your site banned or penalized).
CSS HTML Validator's SEO (search engine optimization) checking will help with these potential pitfalls. It'll also help you improve your website's "search engine likability" and search rankings with its SEO messages.
- SOMEONE ELSE IS ONLY A CLICK AWAY. CSS HTML Validator helps you produce top quality websites. Remember, if a visitor has a problem with your website, then the next site is only a click away. If you have a business website, then CSS HTML Validator is a no-brainer; you'll quickly find it indispensable (and your customers will appreciate it too).
A quality, accessible, and well-functioning website can build customer loyalty, improve brand equity, protect your business or corporate image, and increase your revenue. A broken website with bugs can do the opposite.
- BETTER, FASTER RENDERING. Properly written HTML will render better, on more browsers, and faster than HTML with errors. It's also more easily adapted to print and alternative browsing devices like tablets, mobile phones and other handheld computer devices.
Writing error-free HTML is one of the best ways to help ensure that pages render optimally in as many browsers as possible. This includes older browsers, current browsers, future browsers, and browsers that run on tablets and mobile devices.
- PREVENT PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY HAPPEN. You'll be able to prevent viewing problems before they happen. You won't have to wait until one of your visitors tells you about it. How many people are leaving your website because it's not displaying properly on their screen or not compatible with their web browser? Probably too many if you aren't validating your HTML & CSS.
- TESTING IN BROWSERS IS NOT ENOUGH. Simply testing web pages in browsers is not enough. Browsers can hide problems because they can be very forgiving, but what one browser forgives, another browser may not. Furthermore, while an error may be "forgiven" in one version of one browser, what about future versions of the browser, or older versions? You can never be sure that HTML & CSS errors will always be forgiven in all versions of all browsers and in a stable, reliable, and consistent way.
- LINKS THAT WORK. Broken links can quickly drive visitors away. How many times have you been annoyed when you found a broken link?
- SAVE HOURS OF YOUR TIME. The more HTML & CSS you produce (whether by hand or via automation), the more time you will save. Don't waste time manually looking for problems, figuring out why your HTML doesn't display like it should, or using online checkers. Get CSS HTML Validator and check your website's HTML & CSS fast. Remember: Time is money. Wouldn't you rather be doing something more productive than manually checking all those tags, attributes, properties, links, and more?
- FUTURE-PROOF. Properly written HTML is more likely to be future-proof (backward compatible with future standards and future web browsers).
- IT WON'T BE YOUR FAULT. If you build your site based on standards and good HTML & CSS, then it won't be your fault if your site doesn't work with a particular browser.
- PROTECT YOUR REPUTATION. If anyone looks at or validates your HTML or CSS, then you'll have more confidence in what they see. They'll know that you know what you're doing and that you care about giving a good impression with your website.
- AVOID UGLY PAGES. Problems such as "ugly" pages caused by poor HTML constantly drive visitors away from websites. Do you want your website to be one that customers will leave because of poor quality?
- THINK IT'S ALREADY GOOD? If you think that your website is good the way it is and that you don't need to check it (as many people think), then let CSS HTML Validator check your website to prove that you're right. Chances are that you'll be surprised, and that your website has room for improvement.
If CSS HTML Validator finds that there is little or no room for improvement, especially with regards to accessibility and SEO, then well done! Your website is one of the very few.
- BE STANDARDS-COMPLIANT. Because browsers have become more standards-compliant, it has become more important to write valid, standards-compliant HTML & CSS. CSS HTML Validator will help alert you to HTML & CSS that is not standards-compliant and that may cause viewing problems for visitors.
- BEWARE OF WYSIWYG EDITORS. A WYSIWYG editor is no excuse for not producing good HTML. If a WYSIWYG editor does not produce good HTML, then it should not be used or its output should be fixed manually. Newer WYSIWYG editors are better but many still have problems writing correct HTML. Make sure your WYSIWYG editor creates good HTML & CSS by checking it with CSS HTML Validator.
- HAVE DYNAMIC PAGES (Like with PHP and ASP)? Having a website with dynamic pages is no excuse for bad HTML & CSS. CSS HTML Validator lets you easily check the HTML output of your dynamic pages. If the dynamic pages are outputting CSS and HTML that is full of errors, SEO problems, and accessibility issues then the pages need to be fixed. See also Using Google Developer Tools to Validate the DOM
- WRITE IT ONCE. Write it right the first time and write it once. Write it wrong, and you may be writing it again later.
Download Trial •
Watch Demo •
Mobile devices have become very popular, and many people may be viewing your website on a mobile device. Any HTML or CSS problems could be especially harmful for viewers using browsers on mobile devices, so this is another great reason to validate your web documents.
Variety of Browsers
Today there's a wide variety of browsers that may be used to view your site. To cater to this variety, a developer should build sites that work well in all the major browsers. This might include Edge, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, and a multitude of mobile browsers. Making sure that the HTML & CSS is correct is the first step in making sure that a site will display correctly in multiple browsers on multiple platforms.
Different Rendering Engines
Different browsers use different rendering engines so tricks used to make HTML render as desired in one browser may not work in another browser or even in an earlier or later version of the same browser. Fortunately, browsers today are driving toward standards-compliance, and proprietary and obsolete elements (like "layer" and "ilayer") and CSS properties are being dropped (if they haven't been already). So what can be done to make sure that your pages render properly in different browsers and different versions of the same browser?
The best way to ensure that web pages render properly in web browsers is to write (or generate) valid and standards-compliant HTML & CSS in the first place. Problems that visitors have when they view pages with different browsers may often be due to bad HTML & CSS and not an issue with the browser. Furthermore, some browsers can be less forgiving of bad HTML & CSS than other browsers, so don't rely on all browsers to "tolerate" a bad website. It's best to write it right the first time.
CSS HTML Validator Home, Pro, or Enterprise
CSS HTML Validator for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and Mac is designed to be a powerful tool to find website problems in the fastest and easiest way possible. It makes the critically important duty of checking your web pages as productive and thorough as possible, and its customization features are unmatched.
You can also read about how CSS HTML Validator can be useful to you.
Download Trial •
Watch Demo •